Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calling on 964 Owners - Home Garage

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 03:35 PM
CraigC
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve, I like the idea of having a computer in the Garage. It would be nice to have ready access to Rennlist. Also a good idea to have an air conditioner especially in Texas, its just to damn hot in the summer!
Old 05-15-2007, 04:05 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CraigC
Also a good idea to have an air conditioner especially in Texas, its just to damn hot in the summer!
Yeah, my garage turns into an oven in the summer. I've thought about buying one of those portable air conditioners from Home Depot, etc, that vents its exhaust through a hose you run outside. Anybody have any experience with those? I like Steve's solution, but where my garage is situated, I can't put a wall/window unit in.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:09 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigC
Steve, I like the idea of having a computer in the Garage. It would be nice to have ready access to Rennlist. Also a good idea to have an air conditioner especially in Texas, its just to damn hot in the summer!

I like the computer too, in addition to internet access, it also has a TV tuner card in it so I can catch my favorite sports while I'm out there.

You're right about the need to cool things down in the summer. I wouldn't spend nearly as much time out there if I couldn't control the temperature. I also use the heat function quite a bit as well in the winter, it's a Heat pump / AC unit.

DaveK, My wife has suggested I move out there to live on numerous occasions. I just need a recliner and a hammock and I'm set.

Steve
Old 05-15-2007, 04:18 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Yeah, my garage turns into an oven in the summer. I've thought about buying one of those portable air conditioners from Home Depot, etc, that vents its exhaust through a hose you run outside. Anybody have any experience with those? I like Steve's solution, but where my garage is situated, I can't put a wall/window unit in.

Greg, A friend of mine just cut a hole in the ceiling, installed a vent and ran a duct from his central AC / heat ducting in the attic. His AC guy told him it wouldn't work because there's no provision for return air, however it works great - heat and air. He just shuts off the vent when not using it.

Steve
Old 05-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Bangkokian
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any ideas on an ideal size. In Canada I built a couple double car garages, the bigger of the two was 24'x24' but still too small, especially with two cars parked in there. Too tight and too much risk of bumping into them when taking stuff in and out.
Also, ultimately will put in a lift so what about ceiling height (10 ft enough) and special floor reinforcing?? Anyone care to debate on what type of lift to use? How about a well in the floor like in the oil change guys?
Anyone ever added a small home made paint booth, or partioned (temp or perm) the garage for this?
Someone asked about the small aircon units that use a hole in the wall for discharge. I ihad one nstalled my CFO's office and it didn't work well, low cooling capacity and only cooling when first turned on, but fading out after an hour or so. Mind you I believe it uses a dehydration method for cooling. Don't know, but doubt if any are as good as the split type with outdoor condensing unit to discharge the collected heat.
Funny someone mentioned that a cot might be a good idea. My wife has also suggested that I might wish to consider this. The bathroom and shower are a must here, but I've already been told that I'll be responsible for keeping it clean.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:08 AM
yellowducman
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If I was going with a lift, I would want more than 10 feet. More like 12 or 13. As for the floor, I have my 2 post lift installed on a 4" thick concrete slab with reinforcing wire in it. That was the minimum thickness the lift manufacturer recommend. If you go with a 4 post lift or a scissor lift, the floor thickness won't matter.

I have a 4 post and a 2 post and I HIGHLY recommend the 2 post for working on the car although the 4 post is easier to load the car and lift it up for normal maintenance, storage, cleaning, etc and I also have a caster kit with it so I can move it around.

Ritchie.
Old 05-16-2007, 11:27 AM
jneteler
Racer

You may want to include an area for socializing. A old sofa and a couple of chairs around a coffee table near a fridge and a hot pot are common in general aviation hangars.

JNeteler
Old 05-16-2007, 11:30 AM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Lifts are nice but depending on your height they can be painful to work under. This is my car at a friend's shop/garage for a DIY clutch job. The lift goes higher than in this pic but even at full height, I decided that if I ever have a lift it would be nice to have a pit underneath because I'm too tall to stand under the car without having to duck the whole time.

Originally Posted by DrJupeman

Is that an orange SC or does it just look that way under the lights? Don't see it in your sig.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:20 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris M.
Is that an orange SC or does it just look that way under the lights? Don't see it in your sig.
Yes, orange SC (has 3.6 in it) . Friend's car. It was 70's day in my garage that day.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:25 AM
N51
Rennlist Member

Shop/garage is ~4200sqft with 16' ceiling and infloor heat. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer. Very economical in regard to climate change.

Charlie, the 914 looks great! One of my want-to-haves.:-)

Noah
Old 05-17-2007, 07:35 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by N51
Charlie, the 914 looks great! One of my want-to-haves.:-)
914s are great. I tracked that car for 6 years and attribute whatever skill I have to learning on a 914.

Unfortunately, the car is dead now, killed by the owner that bought it from me (who shall remain nameless but is a frequenter of these boards...).

Here's the car after its fateful day at Lime Rock in '04:

Old 05-17-2007, 06:12 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
914s are great. I tracked that car for 6 years and attribute whatever skill I have to learning on a 914.

Unfortunately, the car is dead now, killed by the owner that bought it from me (who shall remain nameless but is a frequenter of these boards...).

Here's the car after its fateful day at Lime Rock in '04:

Hmmmm....let me see. 914 with #38? I believe he once told me, in reference to the subject of being able to walk away from a crashed track car, "it's not a question of if, but when."

Quick Reply: Calling on 964 Owners - Home Garage