Sponsored by:

RS Germany

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:31 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RS Germany

I recently put my RSA on eBay, the auction never hit the reserve. But I guess all the exposure is enough to sell a car. Now the car is all but sold and the new owner will be shipping it to Germany. Very sad day for me. This car has been my first Porsche and has made me passionate about cars again. The problem is that I've been pouring money into a car that will just never be a great track car unless it undergoes a massive restoration due to frame damage. The new owners are two brothers, one in Chicago the other in Germany. They are going to fix the car correctly.

This will make two RSA's in Germany.

So next Wednesday the buyer is bringing me a cashiers check. In exchange I'll give him the title, keys and bill of sale. He's letting me keep the car until I can verify that the check is good. Sounds safe to me. So long RSA.
Old 05-11-2007, 06:36 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

That's one way of taking advantage of the weak dollar. Congrats on the sale and good luck
Old 05-11-2007, 06:46 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ilko
That's one way of taking advantage of the weak dollar. Congrats on the sale and good luck

I thought about that exchange rate, yes they're getting this car dirt cheap. $22k U.S. = 16,275 Euros. But I'm selling it for exactly what I paid for it.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:00 PM
trackjunky
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh Snap! I'm currently looking for one and did not notice yours. My loss.

PM me if your deal falls through.
Old 05-11-2007, 08:38 PM
N51
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark,

Best wishes for both parties on the sale.
Wherever you go from here, stick around our forum.

Take care,
Noah
Old 05-12-2007, 11:14 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark, This may not be the case with your purchaser, but I've heard horror stories about cashiers checks that were deposited and verified as good only to have the bank coming back a couple of weeks later saying it was not good. By that time the car was gone. Because of this, when I bought my car, the seller required that we go to my bank and draw the money directly out of my account. That way he was comfortable with accepting the cashiers check as he was there when it was drawn from my account. Just a thought. Never hurts to be careful, especially since the car is headed overseas.

Whatcha getting to replace it???

Regards,

Steve
Old 05-13-2007, 11:58 AM
cupcar86
Advanced

How do you know what number your RS America is? Is it by the last three digits of the VIN? Just asking, your car looked a lot like one I had in the mid nineties - it has no sunroof, radio etc. and was the same color.
Rob
Old 05-13-2007, 12:20 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Mark, This may not be the case with your purchaser, but I've heard horror stories about cashiers checks that were deposited and verified as good only to have the bank coming back a couple of weeks later saying it was not good. By that time the car was gone. Because of this, when I bought my car, the seller required that we go to my bank and draw the money directly out of my account. That way he was comfortable with accepting the cashiers check as he was there when it was drawn from my account. Just a thought. Never hurts to be careful, especially since the car is headed overseas.

Regards,

Steve
Recent transactions I've done have been through wire. When the funds hit your account, you're basically gtg.

It is kind of interesting to see the "reverse" flow of cars across the pond. It is funny to have a RSA in Deutschland, I would think.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:11 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cupcar86
How do you know what number your RS America is? Is it by the last three digits of the VIN? Just asking, your car looked a lot like one I had in the mid nineties - it has no sunroof, radio etc. and was the same color.
Rob
Was yours wrecked hard back in '97? If so, this car is most likely yours. I could tell you that this car started out in Downers Grove IL. It then went out to NY for a while. Then it was somewhere in Pennsylvania. And then back to Illinois to an owner in Oak Park. That's who I bought it from. If you go on rsamerica.net there's is an explaination of how to figure out what number RSA you have (had) by the VIN.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:14 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Regards,

Steve
I'm not really sure what else I can do. Technically I'm selling the car to someone who is local. And he's allowing me a few days to keep the car after being paid. I suppose I could ask him to bring cash.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:18 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DrJupeman
It is kind of interesting to see the "reverse" flow of cars across the pond. It is funny to have a RSA in Deutschland, I would think.

I had several people in Germany call me about the car. I spent about 20 minutes with one guy arguing about the fact that the car was not a Carrera RS. He insisted that that was what I was trying to sell it as. He had never heard of an RSA.
Old 05-13-2007, 02:45 PM
America
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Take cash or wire transfer only. Too much fraud out there, especially overseas. Good luck with the sale.
Old 05-13-2007, 05:12 PM
cupcar86
Advanced

No, my car started out in Connecticut and (thank God) was not wrecked in 1997 as I still had it - unless my wife isn't telling me something!
Old 05-13-2007, 05:28 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Get a wire
Old 05-13-2007, 08:14 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Regards,

Steve

1995 M3, easier to drive and cheaper to run. My next Porsche will probably be a 94 Turbo, garage queen.

Quick Reply: RS Germany