Sponsored by:

Porsche or Girlfriend

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 01:01 PM
jneteler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche or Girlfriend

In January I attended a Porsche Roadshow at the Sepang International Circuit in Malaysia. My wife and discussed it beforehand and I won her over by saying, "Since we moved over here, I've lost my main hobby, flying. I need to find something new."

The local dealer and Porsche brought the entire product line for everyone see and drive on the open road and on the track. Starting with the Boxster and working all the way up to the 997tt. There were five or so different sessions including a mild off road jaunt in a convoy of Cayennes.

During lunch, I sent a text message to my wife:

"Girl friend or Porsche, your choice."

No response.

After lunch, it is our group's turn to the north side of the track in a C2, then a C4 Targa, and then a Cayman. The Cayman is a bit small for me so I talked them into driving the C2S with a power kit, aero package, and a bunch of other option$. This C2S was also the only manual, the rest were Tips.

What an eye opener and pleasure to drive on a track. Never having driven this car or on the circuit before, the performance was amazing both in acceleration and braking.

Later we drive the 997tt in an accelerate then emergency brake and steer maneuver. The car withstood all of the abuse without a single fault.

Still no response to the SMS.

It was a great day of driving; even the rain held off until after the event (a rarity here.)

JNeteler
Old 05-11-2007, 01:08 PM
jneteler
Racer

Part 2

So later that night, after the kids are in bed, I ask for her response to the SMS.

She had one question, "So how much is the Porsche?"

So I described my favorite one, the red C2S with all the options.

She repeated her question.

I quote a price from the Porsche USA web site.

No she says, "What is the price here in Malaysia?"

I look her straight in the eye and say, "Somewhere around 1.2-1.3 million Ringitt" The current exchange rate is 3.40ringgit = 1 USD.

She looks me straight in the eye and deadpans, "A girlfriend would be cheaper."

JNeteler
Old 05-11-2007, 01:38 PM
jneteler
Racer

Part 3

So she had called my bluff but I had established that there was some room to haggle.

I start leaving magazines in obvious places opened to key pages. A few copies of 911&PW magically appear. The computer is left on web sites with 911 pictures.

My friends start talking about used ones they have recently seen in front of her.

I sense that she is getting used to the idea that this Porsche thing is not going away.

So I suggest that maybe a used one might be in order. I'm thinking maybe an early 993 C2 manual.

The search gets more serious as I start looking around at actual cars. First a '78 Targa, it was too ragged needing paint and interior work. No point in even doing a PPI. Then some 993's but the price is still north of 270,000ringgit. Nice cars but no way I am going to put up with that kind of depreciation.

So the 964 comes into play. Most of the C2's are tips and I have my mind set on a manual. That leaves the C4. I look at a few cars at different dealers, leave my name and state my interests.

A friend of a friend comes through with strong recommendation for a '90 C4. Knows of the car's reputation and has seen it. I get in contact with the owner. It seems to be the car I want, a Turbo look C4. Turns out he is also an expat but will be returning home shortly. The C4 needs to go. He is going a business trip. It takes longer than planned and I have to leave for Europe before he returns.

My hopes for this car are dashed when I return from Europe. His phone has been disconnected and there is no way of getting in contact with him.

They say patience is a virtue. A few weeks later, I see an ad for a '92 C4, guards red (thats the fast color, right?) I look at the car and go for a test drive. A solid machine, low miles, originally imported from England and only on it's third owner. Ironically, I had seen the car in a shopping center parking lot only two weeks early.

Tomorrow I pick up her up. No not the girl friend, the Porsche in '92 Guards Red, Grey leather, sport seats, and cup wheels.

And maybe I now have enough posts to add some pictures.

JNeteler
Old 05-11-2007, 02:00 PM
gchristofi
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, that's a great story and congratulations........ those prices are extremely high even compared to UK prices! Does that include a lot of tax? I'm sure this investment is something that will hold your attention and interest for much longer than a conventional girlfriend.... and all going well, the 964 won't ever ask you to leave your wife.
Old 05-11-2007, 02:19 PM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An interesting story - but why here?? It's not even a 964 he's considering - it's a water pumper no less!!!

I suspect all those (OK - maybe, most) who have a wife or girlfriend go through the same emotions.

Regards

Dave
Old 05-11-2007, 02:20 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Nice story
Definitely post pics once you get the car!
Old 05-11-2007, 02:26 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gchristofi
the 964 won't ever ask you to leave your wife.
I am not so sure of that...
Old 05-11-2007, 02:43 PM
pcarcraig
Rennlist Member

Computamedic,

My initial thoughts exactly... but you should finish the story . It does have a happy ending.

Originally Posted by Computamedic
An interesting story - but why here?? It's not even a 964 he's considering - it's a water pumper no less!!!

I suspect all those (OK - maybe, most) who have a wife or girlfriend go through the same emotions.

Regards

Dave
Old 05-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Jay H
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jneteler
I start leaving magazines in obvious places opened to key pages. A few copies of 911&PW magically appear. The computer is left on web sites with 911 pictures.

My friends start talking about used ones they have recently seen in front of her.
This is classic!

Congrats on the 964 purchase!

Jay
90 964, 84 3.2
Old 05-11-2007, 02:55 PM
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 31 Posts

Good story, indeed. Congrats on the car.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:09 PM
greenjt
Racer

Sounds to me like by going the 964 route, you might have enough left over for the girlfriend too. We'll need pics of her too of course.
Old 05-11-2007, 04:50 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think your wife lied. Girlfriends are never cheaper than cars - even expensive cars!
Old 05-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by DaveK
I think your wife lied. Girlfriends are never cheaper than cars - even expensive cars!
Funny, but true. At least that is what I have been told.

Congratulations on your new four-wheel mistress... now... I must say it...

Enjoy your new ride in good health.
Old 05-12-2007, 01:14 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jneteler
And maybe I now have enough posts to add some pictures.
Of the car or of the girlfriend?

Marc
p.s. Welcome!
Old 05-12-2007, 02:40 AM
ronone10
Racer

Nice story. Congratulations on your 964. No time or money for a girlfriend now, you have a 964 to mod....what is on your list????

Quick Reply: Porsche or Girlfriend