Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Cup vs. RS/NGT?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 08:57 AM
cupcar86
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, my mom and her side of the family are Welsh. Beautiful large red dragon on the roof too! You'd be suprised how many people in the States know what it means, particularly near Pennsylvania.
Old 05-11-2007, 09:07 AM
Superunknown
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was gonna ask what the story behind it was, now i know! It is surprising to hear that poeple over there know what it means. Anyway, keep flying the flag!
Old 05-11-2007, 09:15 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cupcar86
Actually the RS N/GT's are accomplished racecars in their own right - they raced extensively in the BPR Global GT series that was formed after a Mr. B. Ecclestone and Mosley destroyed the World Sportscar Challenge. That's why they have such a huge gas tank (91L) which I made the mistake of filling last time I was at Lime Rock - the car handled just a bit differently that with the usual 5 gallons up front!
Rob great car I agree, ( it is a cup as far as I'm concerned), I also have the larger tank and like the way it handles full. What's next for you???

Bob
Old 05-11-2007, 11:33 AM
cupcar86
Advanced

Bob, believe it or not probably something softer - I'm only getting on the track maybe five days or less a year and I'm finding I have to remember how to drive the car every time. The best car I've ever owned but also the most unforgiving, doesn't suffer fools lightly. I'll look for a modified 996 or maybe a 997 but at least something street legal.
Am I right - I swear you guys are faster without the 3.8 wing?
Rob
Old 05-11-2007, 11:40 AM
fstockcarrera
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob, believe it or not probably something softer - I'm only getting on the track maybe five days or less a year and I'm finding I have to remember how to drive the car every time. The best car I've ever owned but also the most unforgiving, doesn't suffer fools lightly. I'll look for a modified 996 or maybe a 997 but at least something street legal.
Am I right - I swear you guys are faster without the 3.8 wing?
Rob
Certainly not slower but we also changed tires.
Old 05-11-2007, 11:50 AM
Anatol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob,
could you please post a full scale pic of your beautiful RS? I will be buying a yellow RS NGT here in Switzerland tomorrow and am hence looking for some funky graphics!

I also considered doing the old Larrousse ST-styling of red on yellow or something like thatl:

Old 05-11-2007, 01:45 PM
cupcar86
Advanced

Anatol,
Hope these upload ok, I like the yellow and green with black lettering - I found the scheme in one of the early 1990's Porsche Yearbooks. I could try to come up with a specific location if it helps.
It is a fairly inexpensive paint job except for the roof which you can skip, the bumpers and rockers are easy to remove and you should probably replace the hood with a carbon fiber aftermarket one anyway - the RS and cup car hoods are pretty much unobtainable as far as I know and not something you want to deal with.
By the way, those are some incredible cars in the photo you posted!
Attached Images   
Old 05-11-2007, 01:48 PM
cupcar86
Advanced

And one more, in an absolute monsoon at Lime Rock - a new way to define fear!
Attached Images  
Old 05-12-2007, 03:33 AM
Anatol
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rob,
thank you very much! Very nice car that is!

I already have a carbon hood from my C2 as well as a carbon RSA rear wing. The original parts will go into storage, just like the Magnesium Cup wheels.

Yes, the cars at the Tour Auto in France are always unbelievable. The photo was taken at last years run in Nimes, southern France.
Old 05-12-2007, 04:30 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fstockcarrera
Rob great car I agree, ( it is a cup as far as I'm concerned), I also have the larger tank and like the way it handles full. What's next for you???

Bob
I used to believe this but now I am working with a good race engineer, we are running the car with the minimum fuel needed for the session and have sorted the handling accordingly. We have gained noticable time but then you would, removing 50+kgs (110lbs) from a car!
Old 05-12-2007, 09:09 AM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Don't know if this helps.

http://www.euro-rs.com/PDFs/964confusion.pdf

http://www.euro-rs.com/PDFs/964CarreraRS.pdf
Old 05-12-2007, 09:27 AM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 415 Posts

Originally Posted by SimonExtreme
I used to believe this but now I am working with a good race engineer, we are running the car with the minimum fuel needed for the session and have sorted the handling accordingly. We have gained noticable time but then you would, removing 50+kgs (110lbs) from a car!
The class that Bob & I race in does not allow any suspension changes from the cup setup (stock cup springs, struts/shocks, bushings, etc). So there really is no tuning other than tire pressures and sways. Might be why the fuel does not matter as much (and in my limtied experience in the car, I would agree w/Bob that the weight does not seem to change the handling of the car much...its just a bit slower).
Old 05-12-2007, 11:13 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 38D
The class that Bob & I race in does not allow any suspension changes from the cup setup (stock cup springs, struts/shocks, bushings, etc). So there really is no tuning other than tire pressures and sways. Might be why the fuel does not matter as much (and in my limtied experience in the car, I would agree w/Bob that the weight does not seem to change the handling of the car much...its just a bit slower).
I run standard RS suspension as well. The fisrt thing we did was play around with corner weighting (front rear in particular) so as to compensate for the reduced weight. Playing around with tyre pressure has helped as well. I am absolutely certain that the car is quicker with less fuel.
Old 05-12-2007, 11:20 AM
cupcar86
Advanced

The car is definitely faster with low amounts of fuel but feels more balanced with a full tank. I would run full tanks when I was using MPSC's as they seemed to warm up faster especially on cold days. I eventually stopped using the MPSC's as I think the 964 cup car or RS N/GT is too light to get them warm without wasting a large part of a 20 minute run group.
The following users liked this post:
sirtom (10-23-2022)
Old 05-12-2007, 11:26 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

The car is definitely faster with low amounts of fuel but feels more balanced with a full tank. I would run full tanks when I was using MPSC's as they seemed to warm up faster especially on cold days. I eventually stopped using the MPSC's as I think the 964 cup car or RS N/GT is too light to get them warm without wasting a large part of a 20 minute run group.
Totally agree. Here in Oz, the MPSC's don't have the same cult status they seem to have eslewhere. In fact, the view is exactly what you have posted. You cannot get heat into them quick enough.

I am running Toyo R888's and the team I am working with has now tried them on my car, 964RS, GT3 rs and a race prepared Boxter. Everybody is very happy with them, although it is too early to really comment on lifespan. However, this is racing............. (where is the tearing up $$$ bills smiley!!)

Quick Reply: 964 Cup vs. RS/NGT?