Sponsored by:

Hazzard lights flasing & car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:55 PM
SimonS
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hazzard lights flasing & car won't start

Please help a newbie. I imported a '91 964 from Japan and have been doing required repairs and maintenance over the past few months. Car was running and road worthy when taken out of service for the winter. I replaced the cooling fan that was badly cracked. After installing the alternator and belts etc. the car started fine. Idled for forty minutes while I checked the oil level in preparation for first spring drive. Then the idle rpms fell and the car stalled. Would not restart without a boost, but fired immediately with one. Took the battery out and load tested it, it's fine. (Now I think I've done something wrong when re-installing the alternator and it's not charging the battery). Reinstalled the battery and the 4 way hazzard lights came on without the switch in the on position. Cannot make them stop flashing and car will not start. Turns over but will not fire. Is this a function of the on board computer that will not allow the car to fire, perhaps some anti-theft device? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. I will post pictures of the car when it's mobile and washed. I want you to see her at her best! Thanks again.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:27 AM
Mysteron35
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert, but it sounds very much like an alarm system/imobiliser, I recently had a flat battery on my m3, after charging the battery and re-fitting it to the car I had the exact same problem as you.
My lights flashed and car just turned over, in the end I took the battery out and left it for a bit, re-fitted it and all was back to normal.
Could be worth a try.
Regards, Steve.

Quick Reply: Hazzard lights flasing & car won't start