Sponsored by:

Help - Canada Rennlisters please

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2007, 11:47 AM
Patrick L
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help - Canada Rennlisters please

I'm going to visit my aunt in Vancuver in late May and like to take the chance to buy some parts for my 964, as they are very expensive (and hard to find) here in Taiwan. Anyone can suggest good shops in Vancuver area for Porsche parts and accessories? If I order from US shops and have them ship to Vancuver, how much tax will be charged?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2007, 11:33 AM
unclebilly
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Order from Pelican or where ever, have it shipped to your aunt. There will be 6% GST and 6% PST applied to the parts at customs. Have them shipped USPS , not UPS as UPS charges an extra fee at the border.

It will take 2-3 weeks to ship the parts because customs takes their time with the parts. There is a good chance that you can apply to get your 6% GST back after you get back home.

In Vancouver, there is a shop called Weissach but i think you'll find Porsche parts in Canada are no bargain either.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:30 PM
C24FUN
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Parts in Vancouver

Patrick,

I deal with Weissach regularly (no affiliation) and get most of my parts there. If you are a member of a Porsche club you should be able to get a club discount. If not, depending on what you are ordering they can often do reasonably well on the prices (although there's not much they can do when the factory price for some parts is just silly). Check their website at http://www.weissach.com/aboutUs.asp and contact them for a quote.

Good luck,

Jim G.
Old 04-30-2007, 12:35 AM
rconnon
Pro

if you buy from pelicanparts or sunshine porsche you can ship them to point roberts, washington which is about a 35 min drive from downtown vancouver there you will find TSB an independant shipping broker.http://www.tsbshipping.com/ once there you can unbox your gear and come back over the border.

most people i know use the 'getting gas' excuse as the border guards see alot of people cross to ship / pickup.. and gas is about $0.60/gallon cheaper so it works nicely - depending on what your buying - parts in the trunk can usually be easily explained.

of course i've never done this i've just heard stories.
Old 04-30-2007, 10:43 AM
John52
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a Canadian who has done quite a few cross border pickups, a simple procedure is to have items shipped to an American UPS or Fedex office. You can then pick up the items and bring them across the border yourself. I personally would not recommend trying to con the border guards by saying something like "I was just over buying gas" and then have to explain parts in the trunk. (they could impound your car if they wanted to). Just declare what you bought, pay the sales tax and consider that a bargain compared to the UPS brokerage fees.
Old 04-30-2007, 11:25 AM
Patrick L
Instructor

Thanks guys. I'll try Weissach first, as I mihgt not go to States during my trip...
Old 05-01-2007, 02:38 AM
rconnon
Pro

Originally Posted by John52
As a Canadian who has done quite a few cross border pickups, a simple procedure is to have items shipped to an American UPS or Fedex office. You can then pick up the items and bring them across the border yourself. I personally would not recommend trying to con the border guards by saying something like "I was just over buying gas" and then have to explain parts in the trunk. (they could impound your car if they wanted to). Just declare what you bought, pay the sales tax and consider that a bargain compared to the UPS brokerage fees.
I've done many trips my self, i dont know if your familiar with Vancouver / Washington state border but point roberts is a small area of the US which you can ONLY access via canada.. making it the perfect place get gas in fact most of the people in the area of the border buy all their gas there... not to mention it's the HUB for shipping when it comes to ebay orders.. and such..

it's definetly a cheaper alternative to shopping at weissach.. you wont find them cheap.

Trending Topics

Old 05-01-2007, 11:55 AM
Patrick L
Instructor

Is there any shop in US near the border or in Seatle area?

Quick Reply: Help - Canada Rennlisters please