Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first track day coming up! How should I prepare?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2007, 11:55 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My first track day coming up! How should I prepare?

This weekend I'll be taking the C4 to Hallett Motor Speedway for a drivers school event(basically a run at your own pace, no passing in the turns kind of thing) and I want to get a little advice on what I should make sure to do before I go... The obvious things have been covered(brake bleeding, air pressures, fluid levels, etc) but I just want to make sure i'm not missing anything. I will be driving this car 2 1/2hrs to the track and 2 1/2 back so I want to make sure I dont kill it! I'm used to driving mustangs out at Hallett so this will be a whole new experience! The car has the bilsteins/H&R greens, light flywheel and RS clutch,strut tower brace and adjustable swaybar... Should i expect lots of understeer?

On a side note, my buddy just wants me to go so he can see how close his car is to mine(99 M3, basically stock but he's the better driver).. Will I be able to keep up with him without having to push the car very hard? Thanks for all your advice guys!
Old 04-27-2007, 12:24 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

how are your brake pads? bring layers of clothes, some snacks, and plenty of liquids. Take a camp chair and awning if you have one.

Forget keeping up with your buddy, focus on learning. I am assuming you will have an instructor, listen closely to your instructor and work on being consistent and smooth. Perhaps find a track map with the line on it (sorry I don't know that track) and memorize the line beforehand.

In terms of understeer, for your first day, don't worry too much. Just make notes about the handling for future mods/adjustments.

and most of all: HAVE FUN and be safe.
Old 04-27-2007, 12:26 AM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Originally Posted by kgorman
how are your brake pads? bring layers of clothes, some snacks, and plenty of liquids. Take a camp chair and awning if you have one.

Forget keeping up with your buddy, focus on learning. I am assuming you will have an instructor, listen closely to your instructor and work on being consistent and smooth. Perhaps find a track map with the line on it (sorry I don't know that track) and memorize the line beforehand.

In terms of understeer, for your first day, don't worry too much. Just make notes about the handling for future mods/adjustments.

and most of all: HAVE FUN and be safe.
Definitely great advice! I have already ridden with an instructor and am very familiar with this track(i've ran it with 2 mustang GT's, 1 audi TT and twice with an ITB 914), however never with a 911 so i'm really not sure what to expect handling-wise.. I know it will be different than all of those
Old 04-27-2007, 12:53 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 74carreraturbo
....however never with a 911 so i'm really not sure what to expect handling-wise..
Don't lift on the throttle in the turns.

Previous advice was spot on: Don't worry about keeping up with your buddy. Focus on learning the car, learning the track.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:19 AM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Originally Posted by TR6
Don't lift on the throttle in the turns.

Previous advice was spot on: Don't worry about keeping up with your buddy. Focus on learning the car, learning the track.
I'll keep that in mind for sure

I had the choice of taking the C4 or my rediculous land missile of a narrow body turbo which i've had almost 5 years and still am scared to put on a race track... It's sad really because the car has spent most of its life as a race car but it really needs to be sorted before I even feel safe in it. I really really want to put it on a track though because i'd love to see what a 2300lb turbo car could do
Old 04-27-2007, 03:59 AM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

go to the DE forum and search. An entire career worth of reading.

short summary = slow in/rev match/down shift/fast out.

sounds like you are a decent driver already so you'll have a blast!
Old 04-27-2007, 07:34 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Go there rested and relaxed. listen to your instructor very carefully and ask him as many questions as you can think of. Ask him for a lot of feedback - did I do this right, should I do that, etc. He'll give you tons of advice.

I wouldn't try to compete with anyone on your first day, or at any point during DE. It's driver's education, not a race. You can try the drag strip or a local autocross for that.

Also, check out this guide, it's from Metro NY PCA, but it holds true for all regions: http://metronypca.org/DriverEd/DE%20...de%201_4g2.pdf

You'll meet great people and will have an awesome time
Old 04-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Attached is the list I use when packing the car for a DE.

Marc
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Driver Ed equipment.pdf (53.5 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 04-27-2007 at 03:00 PM. Reason: converted doc file to pdf
Old 04-27-2007, 12:13 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great list Marc, thanks
Old 04-27-2007, 12:24 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Here's a great website that can give you tons of info on any track along with instructions, directions, etc: http://www.trackpedia.com/wiki/Halle...Racing_Circuit
Old 04-27-2007, 11:39 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TR6
Don't worry about keeping up with your buddy. Focus on learning the car, learning the track.
Oh, so that's what you were doing.

Seriously, the best tip (other than Marc's list) I got before my first DE was from my buddy Greg (TR6). Go get as large of a Rubbermaid storage tub as you can fit in your car to hold your stuff. That way you have rain protection for your gear. Also helps in keeping everything together.

Steve

Quick Reply: My first track day coming up! How should I prepare?