Sponsored by:

Rollover question...- Targa

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 11:55 PM
buellrunner
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rollover question...- Targa

I was just having an argument with a buddy.

Our 964 Targas Have reinforced windsheilds/A pillars in case of a rollover right? If g-d forbid I was in a rollover and the car ended up upsidedown, the windsheild/pillar is designed to withstand the weight of the car without collapsing and crushing my head, right?

Cheers!

Jack
Old 04-25-2007, 12:05 AM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

No, but your b-pillar / targa bar definitely is. Very beefy. It all depends on the force of the rollover. If you gently placed the car upside down, that A-B combo would hold the weight of the car no problem I'm pretty sure. If there were significant velocity / force in a crushing vector, the A pillar would definitely give before the B - but only to the point of being equal to the line between top of B pillar and front of hood area - then all 3 points would begin supporting car. Of course if it's a hard enough smack, both A and B would give. Hard to say how hard is hard enough - no real g-force crash data.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:12 AM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I just checked the 964 bible, and as far as I can tell there is no mention of roll over protection in it. But I would be willing to bet the large arch in the rear roof line would and is designed to protect you in a roll over.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:48 AM
bjzorn
Canadian Yankee
Rennlist Member

well the bar behind the rear seats is called the roll bar by Porsche so it must hold up in a roll over

brandon j
Old 04-25-2007, 01:39 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by buellrunner
f g-d forbid I was in a rollover and the car ended up upsidedown, the windsheild/pillar is designed to withstand the weight of the car without collapsing and crushing my head, right?
At Buttonwillow Raceway last year a 911 Targa went off track, and rolled. The windshield was at the level of the passenger seat head-rest... thank goodness there was no passenger or his goose would have been cooked. The way the car rolled it didn't hit the driver's side so that side was not bent down, again, thank goodness! The Targa bar didn't even get dented down at all, but the windshield frame was toast.
Old 04-25-2007, 02:02 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Note to self: Roll clockwise.

Steve
Old 04-25-2007, 12:39 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Note to self: Roll clockwise.