Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where's the 10mm nut I dropped down the Oil Pressure hole?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 05:22 PM
Olcha911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Where's the 10mm nut I dropped down the Oil Pressure hole?

I Had a leak at the base (I think the O-ring) of the oil pressure and temperature sender assembly - the Oil pressure sender itself is fairly new (the housing is held on by two 10mm nuts and washers). I was removing it to examine it more closely. I accidentally dropped one of the 10mm nuts down the hole that the sender bolts on top of. My hand slipped when I pulled it up and I hit the bottom of the induction pipes and dropped the nut. One of the many things you wish you can take back...

After 4 hours of looking, I' ve resigned myself to the fact that it is in the engine. I drained the oil frrom the case, and well as removed (and put back) the two oil relief springs. I put a magnetic feeler down the hole for the sender as well as into the releif valve holes. No luck.

I know I can remove the motor and tear it down to find it as a last resort, but since I did that 18 months ago- I don't relish the thought. That was the only leak I had, and I didn't replace the O-ring the first time around, since I didn't crack the case, I just replaced the oil ressure sender which was leaking from hte very top.

I don't have a good enough understanding of where that hole goes, etc. What else can I try? What would happen- where would the nut goe if I start the car? Just curious.

Thanks for any and all advice- Keith
Old 04-23-2007, 05:59 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Olcha911
I don't have a good enough understanding of where that hole goes, etc. What else can I try? What would happen- where would the nut goe if I start the car? Just curious.

Thanks for any and all advice- Keith
You don't want to find out. Don't start it or turn it over what ever you do. Bummer. Sounds like something that would happen to me.

Steve
Old 04-23-2007, 06:03 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

It's time to buy the best and longest borescope tool you can find with magnetic pickup. When you consider the alternatives, that might be a good investment.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:05 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks to Kirkf for the case pic.

I believe that the oil send mounts in the upper left hand corner of this pic.
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2007, 06:18 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Isn't that the left-hand side of the case? You need to be looking at the right-hand side of the case.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:33 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry. Here's the other side.
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2007, 06:45 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Ah yes, not in the big part of the case anyway, unfortunately. Damn.
Old 04-23-2007, 06:54 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nut is probably sitting on top of the oil pump.

Last edited by stevepaa; 04-11-2013 at 08:31 PM.
Old 04-24-2007, 01:49 AM
skruggs964
Pro

Man...that sucks. I feel for ya dude.....
Old 04-24-2007, 04:48 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

If it makes you feel better, I was once topping up the gearbox oil many, many years ago in my Fiat X1/9. I was using a long flexible platic tube, held open at the end with a small plastic ring. When I'd finished the job and withdrew the tube, the plastic ring was no longer in the end of the tube.

Old 04-24-2007, 04:55 AM
Dick964
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Maybe a weird idea... :

If you are pretty sure that it is in your crankcase...

Crack down one of the oil return tubes and you have entrance to the crankcase.... Feel around with a magnetic thing and small mirror.

If you manage to find it, the only thing you have to replace is the oil return tube with one of the types you will normally use for repairing a leaky oil return tube.

Good luck,

Dick964
Old 04-24-2007, 09:30 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Damn that sucks.
For gods sake dont give up until you find that nut. No matter how tempting it gets to just ignore it.

1. Remove the oil drain plug in the motor and try and fish it out from there

2. Dicks idea is a good one. Remove the oil return tubes and try and fish it out with a magnet. They make expandable replacements for situations where you want to replace the tubes without removing the heads.

3. If that doesnt work drop the motor, put it on an engine stand and flip it upside down and try and get it to come out that way.

And if none of that works start taking the motor apart until you get to it.

I dropped a nut into my distributor hole while the engine was on the engine stand. It still took me over an hour to locate the nut and get it out. I was starting to doubt it had fallen in there at all. Then sure enough out it came.

Kirk
Old 04-25-2007, 07:32 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with the advice not to ignore it. Loose parts have an uncanny ability to get into places to cause damage. I have a friend with a Lamborgini who decided to ignore a dropped washer. The washer got into the timing chain and the engine jumped time. He was billed $12,000 to repair the damage, and the engine had fuel and oil leaks after the work was done.

I had a Mercedes engine break off part of a chain ramp. The engine jumped time when it went through the timing chain. That bent the valves, bent the crankshaft, and broke the cam towers. What a mess!
Old 04-25-2007, 08:33 AM
J.PELLEGRINO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Keith, The passage does not lead to the bottom of the case, I believe it comes from discharge side of the oil pump..After a few 90 degree direction changes, it end up at the pressure side of the oil pump....I would do what it takes to find it.
Good luck, Jerry
Old 04-25-2007, 12:01 PM
KirkF
Three Wheelin'

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is another pic.

Kirk
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Where's the 10mm nut I dropped down the Oil Pressure hole?