Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bonnet release cable snapped -help please!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 05:57 AM
Graham L
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bonnet release cable snapped -help please!

Morning Rennlist – help needed please! Found over the weekend that my bonnet release cable has snapped, interior handle has no resistance on it and doesn't pop the front. Urgent thoughts and advice please as to how I go about replacing this would be VERY much appreciated! Couldn’t find anything helpful on search…

TIA,

Graham.
Old 04-23-2007, 08:11 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's like the rear lid, it should be spring loaded so that if the cable snaps it just pops open. With time the mechanism gets stiff so it might not pop on its own, so try pressing, pulling and general jiggling to see if you can get it to pop. This is exactly what happened with my engine lid. Then I just replaced the cable - very easy to do.

I've also heard that some have an emergency release cable hidden under one of the wheel arch covers (sorry I don't know which side).
Old 04-23-2007, 08:56 AM
J.PELLEGRINO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look at the release handle, often the cable is not broken, just the handle which is designed to be sacrificial. If is, you can remove the broken handle and or plastic housing the retains the outer casing and pull the cable with a pair of needle nose pliers...carefully. If that is not the case, I believe Porsche does put an emergency release in the front left corner of the car, either behind the marker light or the inner fender cover. Check the owners manual, I am fairly confident they mention it in there....Good luck, Jerry
Old 04-23-2007, 09:16 AM
Graham L
Racer

Originally Posted by boxsey911
If it's like the rear lid, it should be spring loaded so that if the cable snaps it just pops open. With time the mechanism gets stiff so it might not pop on its own, so try pressing, pulling and general jiggling to see if you can get it to pop. This is exactly what happened with my engine lid. Then I just replaced the cable - very easy to do.

I've also heard that some have an emergency release cable hidden under one of the wheel arch covers (sorry I don't know which side).

thanks - Assuming i can get it open how do i replace the cable? Pleased to hear that it's 'easy' though!
Old 04-23-2007, 09:32 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

When I did it with the rear lid, it was just a simple case of threading the new cable through the guide tube, attaching it to the handle and then attaching to the lid locking mechanism.

But also check out what Jerry said, maybe you can still get at the cable in the footwell and pull it with pliers.
Old 04-23-2007, 09:58 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Graham! Hope you are well. Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but I don't think the catch is spring loaded and think the only way to open it is to drill a hole in the floor of the boot which will give you the ability to hook something around the cable and open it. I'm not entirly sure where exactly you need too drill though. Perhaps someone else will help with that bit!!

I think the emergency release was only done for MY92 onwards.

Andy
Old 04-23-2007, 11:31 AM
Graham L
Racer

Re the emergency release, my understanding was as per Andy's comment above, that my MY 90 would not have this fitted as it's too early. Bugger.
Old 04-23-2007, 11:43 AM
Jim Michaels
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Jack up the left front and remove the wheel/tire. Then remove the front part of the liner underneath the fender. You should should be able to see a little wire end to pull under the front part of the fender. Pull it to release the front hood. Should the engine compartment release break, remove the left (driver's side) tail light cover and look for the release wire.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:06 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Graham L
Re the emergency release, my understanding was as per Andy's comment above, that my MY 90 would not have this fitted as it's too early. Bugger.
I've just been out to check mine for you as it's also an MY90. I can confirm there is no emergency release cable (there isn't one for my rear lid either). Therefore it's got be worth trying Jerry's approach to find it from the handle end first (my rear one also broke off at the handle).
Old 04-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Graham L
Racer

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I've just been out to check mine for you as it's also an MY90. I can confirm there is no emergency release cable (there isn't one for my rear lid either). Therefore it's got be worth trying Jerry's approach to find it from the handle end first (my rear one also broke off at the handle).

thank you! much appreciated, even if it's bad news!
Old 05-09-2007, 12:37 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

I'm sure you must have got it open by now. So how did you get on?
Old 05-09-2007, 01:48 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As a side note I am adding the emergency release cable to my car for the rear.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:15 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

I have a complete bonnet release set for sale (interior handle, cable, latch) if something broke.

Quick Reply: Bonnet release cable snapped -help please!