Sponsored by:

964 Track Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2007, 03:18 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Do you know what they did with the passenger side airbag and the dashboard?
Old 04-18-2007, 05:25 AM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't worry about all the people who try to tell you to get a car for the track and one for the road. If done properly, the 964 makes the perfect duel purpose car. after all, that is exactly what Porsche did with the 964RS (ROW). A true showroom model that is at home on the track. You can take one in standard form, drive it to the track, race hard all day long and then drive it home again.

How do I know? Because that is exactly what I do! I even use the car to take my daughter to school occasionally.
Old 04-18-2007, 11:16 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Elise vs 964 is a tough one, but since you are a 'Porsche guy' then it sounds like the decision is made. I can't say the Elise is not easy to get on the track with, heck it's just about turn key. The only points I would make is about hassle. The Elise will get you on the track with a more capable car out of the box, the 964 will require time and $$ to get you there. Once done correctly, then the 964 is a very capable car, depending on driver of course. The Elise is easier to drive fast IMHO. I am guessing the Elise is cheaper to run, but if you hit anything, then it's more expensive by a long shot.
Old 04-18-2007, 01:45 PM
911skb
Instructor

At my DE last month, my instructor drives an Exige on the track. He loves the car on the track, but said as a daily driver it is not feasible (at least for him). Almost no rear visibility, other than your side mirrors, very hard to get in and out of, very very basic inside, very small feeling car on the road next to all the SUV's, etc.

On the track, looked like a great car though.
Old 04-18-2007, 02:43 PM
RS 197
Pro

Originally Posted by JasonAndreas
Do you know what they did with the passenger side airbag and the dashboard?
RI states that 92 cars only require driver air bag. 993 RS has dual air bags so no problem.
Old 04-19-2007, 12:42 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,891 Likes on 2,410 Posts

Originally Posted by kgorman
Elise vs 964 is a tough one, but since you are a 'Porsche guy' then it sounds like the decision is made. I can't say the Elise is not easy to get on the track with, heck it's just about turn key. The only points I would make is about hassle. The Elise will get you on the track with a more capable car out of the box, the 964 will require time and $$ to get you there. Once done correctly, then the 964 is a very capable car, depending on driver of course. The Elise is easier to drive fast IMHO. I am guessing the Elise is cheaper to run, but if you hit anything, then it's more expensive by a long shot.
i have an exige.
the car has very short wheel base, not necessarily easier to drive than 964. also it has no torque, it cannot mask any mistake you make exiting a turn, if you lose speed in a turn, you will never get it bak.
it is about 1/4 the cost to run compared to 993 964.
if you hit something at very low speed, porsche is cheaper to fix. the clam shell on the lotus is $3k and any impact will require a new one.

if you hit something at speed, lotus is cheaper to fix. heck the whole damn car is $35k only and all the parts are cheaper. premium wheels for it are $2500-$3k. RA1 are 660/set. 4 pads are 210, rotors are $200/ea, but will last you 5000 track miles.

not telling you which is better, just providing some data points on lotus to help you decide.
Old 04-19-2007, 01:46 AM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny how I stumbled across this right after John posted........wonder if he still has visions about riding along for an "exciting" moment a couple of months ago in pretty much the car Steve describes prepping.

Anyway, I think there are plenty of serviceable, cheapish 964 candidates out there. Cash talks. Always does. Like my 136K RSA with no known history; and in the 7 or 8 track days I've used it over the past three years, all I've done is a couple of oil changes and some better pads and fluid. Some cast off 964RS Bilsteins w/ Eibachs and a set of RA1's.........good for ~1:45 @ Laguna or ~2:06 @ Thunderhill (full track). Couple hundred pounds lighter without and interior and stuff and I think you're hard pressed to find something more quick, entertaining and reliable.

That said, it's kinda funny to see how things go to the next level with the sorta-993RS I now have.
Old 04-19-2007, 09:58 AM
pu911rsr
Drifting

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Steve,
I have run lot's of old 911's at race tracks, they are quite fast and very reliable when set up properly. I just bought a 92 Carrera cup, it is in race trim, probaly very close to what you would build. I have yet to track car but from little drving I have done with it I think it will be a fantastic track car. I would agree with others that if you can find a well built car it will be cheaper in the long run than building your own. If you have the time and skill to build one yourself than have at it.
Phil
Old 04-20-2007, 02:28 PM
Mysteron35
Track Day

I've got a car along those lines, I didnt build it myself its the work of PO's but its very close to an rs.
Its got an rs interior, door panels,seats, half cage, no rear seats etc, 993 brakes all round, rs adjustable roll bars, rs rear bumper, brake ducts, the list goes on....
I got it for track work and had planned to use my m3 for daily driving, but the 964 is so nice to drive I find I'm using it every day.
Steve.
Old 04-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

i think Mooty hit the nail on the head with the Running Costs discussion.
a Lotus will cost signifiantly less in the short and long term even with depeciation

Quick Reply: 964 Track Car