Sponsored by:

dousing my hood convenience lights

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 12:34 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Question dousing my hood convenience lights

I'm detailing the areas around the front and rear hoods but don't want the battery being sucked 'dry' by the hood convenience lights from overnight sessions of leaving the hoods up.

A) Where are the front and back contact switches? (photos would be fantastic if ya got 'em!)

B) How do you take those brittle-looking convenience light covers off in one piece? Suggested tools or tricks?
I tried opening up the light recepticle to take the bulb out, but those light covers look stoutly tabbed in place and *brittle*.

And I tried finding the circuit switches (microswitch?, grounding switch? what?? ) but no luck...

So, for the front I've been merely unhooking the wire connection on the hood's right electrical lead.

Tried finding its twin in the rear -- no luck, there.

Thanks, all!
Old 04-17-2007, 12:37 AM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's a multi-pin connector for the rear decklid wiring harness - unplug it and you should be set.
Old 04-17-2007, 12:37 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I just took the bulb out of the receptacle when I leave the engine cover open (and I noticed my wrench does the same thing last time I had it in). I also disconnect the wire lead at the front right as you have been doing -- just leave it disconnected, the light is pretty useless anyway.

Marc
Old 04-17-2007, 12:48 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Marc Shaw
I just took the bulb out of the receptacle when I leave the engine cover open (and I noticed my wrench does the same thing last time I had it in). I also disconnect the wire lead at the front right as you have been doing -- just leave it disconnected, the light is pretty useless anyway.

Marc
Thanks, Marc --
How do ya pop those light covers?
As I'd mentioned, they look like Grade-A candidates for breakage if not pried open *juuuuust* right.
And what tool to do that? (My fingertips/fingernail pretty much gave up the ghost trying to do the job. )
A screwdriver tip looked like it would mar up the underlying paint AND break the plastic...
Thoughts? Techniques?

And thanks, Casey! -- I'll go engine bay diving to find that connector.
Old 04-17-2007, 10:53 AM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a fuse that contains the circuit for these lights as well as interior lights (I don't know what else is on that circuit). I can't remember which fuse and I'm at work right now without my books or car. The previous owner of my car had that fuse removed for the same reason (didn't want to run down the battery). I've since replaced the fuse since I don't leave the hood up very often.
Old 04-17-2007, 01:27 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Fuse #11 I believe - Also kills the clock and interior lights as well as lights in the hood areas.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

On my 90 there is a two pin plug by the hinge on the passenger side that I have un plugged for the front hood light. My non-stock tail does not have a light.

Quick Reply: dousing my hood convenience lights