Dreaded oil drops

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2007, 07:42 PM
sshenton1975
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dreaded oil drops

Hi guys

Took the C4 out today in UK - went to the Malvern Classic Car show and won a prize for best 80s car!!

Anyway, once home looked at garage to check for oil and found some spots on the right hand side of the car towards the rear.

Looking under the car, it looks like the oil is forming at the back of the sill and dropping down - looks like it could be close to the jacking point?

I know there are lots of oil pipes around there but I don't really want to have to replace all of them. If I leave it do I risk the pipe blowing completely and losing all my oil? Or os it just a case of the drips becoming more frequent?

Thanks for your replies

Simon

89 C4
Old 04-15-2007, 07:59 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Some drips can be tolerated for a long time, others can be signs of a serious problem. I would suggest cleaning the bottom of the engine and car thoroughly. Then drive the car for a while and look for the source of the leak. Then report back with more specifics.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:45 PM
SimonExtreme
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Simon

The problem does sound as if it is coming from the oil lines to the tank in the rear arch (assuming it is on the right hand side!). There can be a fair amount of crap in that area, paticularly high up in the wheelarch and I would clean it all out first so as to be able to see what is going on. If a pipe does go, it can get ratrher messy. so if the problem has come on fairly quickly, I would advice caution and urgency.
Old 04-15-2007, 10:39 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

I had a pretty nasty drip back there as well, all i did was clean everything as best i could then tightened the connections.....no more drips, hopefully it will be that simple for you as well.

JERRY
Old 04-16-2007, 05:42 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like it could be coming from the Oil thermostat. As suggested, have a good clean up and then see where it's coming from.
Old 04-16-2007, 05:59 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy Roe
Sounds like it could be coming from the Oil thermostat. As suggested, have a good clean up and then see where it's coming from.
Andy, while on the subject, can you tell me if the short metal oil pipe that goes from the thermostat up in to the wheel arch, rests against the suspension arm? I've notice that when the car is warm that there is a clunking noise from that area (over bumps and braking) and I'm 99% certain it's that pipe banging against the arm.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:25 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

That metal pipe is part of a long tube/hose to your oil filter housing.

Last edited by stevepaa; 03-04-2013 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2007, 01:39 PM
PWW
Instructor

Boxsey911 it doesnt touch,
I just changed mine at the weekend if only things looked like Steve's. It's amazing how much oily mess was under the pannels and behind the tank.Took the best part of two hours just to get the area clean enough to start removing hoses.
Old 04-16-2007, 02:37 PM
rodders
Racer

you should have ben supporting the Saints then it would not have happened !!
- it will be a leak from your oil thermostat - it will need a change but its not too bad.
what you should check is the oil cooler in the wing, if it is original you may find that weaping - and so it goes on
Old 04-16-2007, 06:19 PM
J.PELLEGRINO
Addict
Rennlist Member

Their are 4 or 5 hoses there between the tank, the thermostat and the engine. Mose are secured with hose clamps and they all get hard with age. This renders the hoses useless and they need to be changed. Note their are 2 versions of the thermostat, so be sure and match the new hoses to the old. I always replace the original Zebra clamps as well.
Jerry
Old 04-16-2007, 07:03 PM
PWW
Instructor

Jerry ...good call on replacing the 4 smaller hoses and clamps.I done mine at the same time, the 2 very small ones were very brittle and no way would you be able to reuse them.
Also the two oil tank rubber mounts were perished so put them on your 'to do' list also.
Old 04-16-2007, 07:23 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by PWW
Boxsey911 it doesnt touch,
I just changed mine at the weekend if only things looked like Steve's. It's amazing how much oily mess was under the pannels and behind the tank.Took the best part of two hours just to get the area clean enough to start removing hoses.
Thanks I didn't think it should but it's good to get another opinion. So this weekend's job is to clean up all those hoses, check for what might need replacing in the near future and get the metal one moved away from the arm .

In the short time I've been on Rennlist, the photo from Stevepaa is no less than I would expect of him

Quick Reply: Dreaded oil drops