Sponsored by:

topless experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:17 AM
Boatsonthebrain
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
These are some negatives that influenced the sale of my cabrio even though it was a beautiful car:
I found a cabriolet hard for an hour drive on the freeway if the top is down, even with the wind screen in place. We ended up deaf, and our eyes were worn out like we'd been swimming in a pool for hours. With the top up, it is definitely noisier than a 964 coupe. I never talked on my cell phone in the cabrio even with the top up - too hard to hear, especially with an ear bud.

Safety was also a concern as I was surrounded by SUV's that would probably just drive up and over the car whether a head-on or rear-end collision - with no roof, that sounds scary. Rear seats are death seats in a roll-over with no over-head protection like newer convertibles have. Flying crap on the road becomes an issue - I actually had a car hit a fire hydrant which sent water showering all over - I had to stop, and turn around to take an alternative route so I didn't get soaked!!

Potentially expensive repairs are also a looming and frequent issue with the rather delicate convertible system. There are 4 weak points: the latch motors (about $500 each for the parts alone), support beams ($500 each - again, parts, no labor!), cables (repairable in most cases for no cost if you can do it yourself), fabric of the top should you break a support beam and have it tear.

Security is an issue - can't leave anything in the car with the top down; or even up as it's easy to cut through the roof if someone really wants what you've got in there.

Wear is an issue- the sun will wear out the interior faster also; so will bird crap! The top's rear window is also delicate and easily scratched and faded in sunlight. Remember the wear of your own skin - you need sunscreen, hat, glasses!!!

Am I a downer, or what?!
Man, garrett, you're really bumming me out ;-) Seriously though, I appreciate hearing the 'dark' side of cab ownership. Definitely something to keep in mind as I contemplate getting serious about a search.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:23 AM
Boatsonthebrain
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
My 964 was my sole car when I lived in California. I moved to NH about 2 years ago. I park the 964 during salty road season (winter) for two reasons. The first is that the car is lowered and I doubt it would do well going through snow drifts. The second is I see what New England's salt does to cars. I have driven the car in snow and the AWD does very well if you have the right tires. I would feel comfortable recommending a C4 for winter. You would have to be careful clearing snow off the rear window. You don't want to scratch the plastic.

By the way, my winter car is an 91 Honda Civic Si. Its a decent car but I'm looking forward to driving the 964 again. It will be going back on the road next weekend (if the snow storm predicted for Thursday is a mirage).

I hope this helps.
Rob, the comments (yours & everyone's) are very helpful. You mentioned the ride height potentially being an issue in the snow. Have you heard of an aftermarket height-adjustable suspension that would still match the sporting character of the 964? I know Koni makes height-adjustable shocks for some cars. It would be nice to have the ability to crank up the height an inch or two in the winter without adversely affecting the handling.
Old 04-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Boatsonthebrain
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ianellison
Get a windbreak, which fits behind seats - see my car. Makes a hugh difference to comfort with top down especially at higher speeds.
Ian, where can one purchase the windbreak?
Old 04-10-2007, 11:55 AM
Boatsonthebrain
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 94Speedster
To the targa question, I owned a 79 SC targa for a number of years and the top did not leak. I have a friend with an 89 targa, and his top does not leak. With that said, if they ever leak there are a few after-market companies that will refurbish the tops relatively inexpensively. I loved the targa, but always wanted a cabrio - so I bought a 964 Speedster for that wind in the hair feel. Amazing how things come full circle, because now I want a 911/964 targa again. Targas are just a great comprimise between cabrios and coupes....

My $0.02,

-B

Great, just when I though I had the search narrowed down to a coupe or cab I've received several messages on how great the targas are... Gee, life's full of tough choices
Old 04-10-2007, 12:56 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Boatsonthebrain
Rob, the comments (yours & everyone's) are very helpful. You mentioned the ride height potentially being an issue in the snow. Have you heard of an aftermarket height-adjustable suspension that would still match the sporting character of the 964? I know Koni makes height-adjustable shocks for some cars. It would be nice to have the ability to crank up the height an inch or two in the winter without adversely affecting the handling.
The 964's come with height-adjustable suspension so the real question is what sort of driving do you plan on doing and how stiff do you want your springs/shocks? If you want stiffer but keeping the ride height high, perhaps you should consider the 964 turbo springs. I'm running H&R green springs with Bilstein HD shocks. I love the ride and how it handles. It lowered my car about 1.25". There are many other suspension setups available. Do a search and you will find lots of discussion about it.
Old 04-10-2007, 02:33 PM
aeroman
Man of Way Too Many Avatars
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you mean the stock suspension can be adjusted?
Old 04-10-2007, 02:46 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aeroman
Do you mean the stock suspension can be adjusted?
The stock suspension can be adjusted for height, but used mostly for corner balancing rather than getting any meaningful height changes. From my experience, one may get ~10mm (~0.4") ride height change overall.

Quick Reply: topless experience