Sponsored by:

Rear Bumper Removal

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007 | 05:14 PM
Spow
AutoX

Default Rear Bumper Removal

Hi guys,
I've got a rust patch on the rear wheel arch that I'm going to tackle & I need to remove the rear bumper. So before I get going I thought I'd ask for some advise for handy tips + tools required for the job.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Old 04-02-2007 | 05:33 PM
Jasko
Racer

Steve - No special tools needed. Just allen head socket (8-10mm??), metric socket, and phillips screw driver. Unscrew the screws that attach to the out riggers at the bumper bottom (2-3 each side), then remove the 3 screws along each side of the bumper at the top (mine were a collection of phillips heads and hex heads). Lastly, detatch the bolts that attach the rear bumper guard to the frame supports at the rear. These bolts are the allen head bolts. Bumper should drop away at this point so look out! Only thing that will be in the way at this point are the wires that go to the license plate lights.

Dave
Old 04-02-2007 | 06:24 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jasko
Steve - No special tools needed. Just allen head socket (8-10mm??), metric socket, and phillips screw driver. Unscrew the screws that attach to the out riggers at the bumper bottom (2-3 each side), then remove the 3 screws along each side of the bumper at the top (mine were a collection of phillips heads and hex heads). Lastly, detatch the bolts that attach the rear bumper guard to the frame supports at the rear. These bolts are the allen head bolts. Bumper should drop away at this point so look out! Only thing that will be in the way at this point are the wires that go to the license plate lights.

Dave
Dave, is that a heat shield to stop the exhaust burning the bumper? I was wondering because mine rattles about and it looks like a bolt is missing (possibly one of the allen bollts you mention). I too was thinking about removing the bumper (tail pipe side) to attempt a fix on this.
Old 04-03-2007 | 12:01 AM
Jasko
Racer

There are several heat shields on the inside of the fiberglass bumper cover, but I am talking about the "bumper reinforcement". Its the metal beam spanning the rear of the car, that actually provides the protection for the rear (and front). Its bolted to a pistioning sleeve on the US cars.

The heat shield if pretty well secured to the inside skin of the bumper cover, so I doubt that its what is rattling. I also had a rattle under mine that I traced to the heat shield on the Cat.

Dave
Old 04-03-2007 | 05:53 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Jasko

The heat shield if pretty well secured to the inside skin of the bumper cover, so I doubt that its what is rattling. I also had a rattle under mine that I traced to the heat shield on the Cat.

Dave
OK Thanks. I've definitely got loose shields inside the bumper corner piece on the tail pipe side, so I think taking off the bumper will be the best thing to do when trying to resecure them.

Quick Reply: Rear Bumper Removal