Sponsored by:

Knock from front end

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 03:56 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Knock from front end

I'm pretty sure I raised this when it first happened a year or two ago. It seemed to disappear (or at least get a lot less noticeable) but as with most self-curing problems it's come back.

If I go over a bump when the steering is turned there is a loud knock - I'm pretty sure it's from the front end, and I think I can feel it through the car / steering.

I can easily reproduce it by driving up (or down) the ramp in a multi-story car park. As I hit the bottom of the ramp (going up) or the top (going down) I get a nice knock. Can also reproduce it going in / out of my drive as the kerb meets the road (even though it's lowered for the driveway entrance).

Any (cheap) theories on what could cause this - and what I can check?
Old 04-02-2007, 07:27 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Dave,

I would jack up the car and inspect each wheel. If you put your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock, can you rock the wheel? Try again at 3 & 9 o'clock. This is a quick way to check for loose wheel bearings and/or tie rods/ball joints. Ideally, you shouldn't get any movement in either direction.

I hope its a simple fix.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Toddimus
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FWIW....

I had a knock like that, only it was coming from the right rear. It turned out to be a support strap for an oil line that passes through the wheel well between the oil console and the engine. The strap had decided to break off one of its mounting tabs, allowing the metal oil line to whack against the chassis when I went over a bump.

A quick fabrication of a new strap had me on my way knock free.

Quick Reply: Knock from front end