Sponsored by:

Road handling of a lowered 964

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 08:01 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Road handling of a lowered 964

A month in to 964 ownership and I think I'm beginning to get to grips with the handling of our cars. As each (dry) day passes I'm beginning to trust it more and more and am marvelling that if you take it by the scruff of the neck it will go round bends faster than you thought it would . Straight line speed was of course, never in question .

But, how does it behave on poorly maintained, bumpy roads? What do you experience, say, when hitting a bump or depression when doing 70+ mph? I know what happens to my lowered C2 but thought I would ask the question without colouring the water (so to speak).
Old 04-01-2007, 08:16 PM
MassGuy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may or may not be in part an answer to your question but one thing I have learned to be very useful/important.

Tire pressure, I check it bi-weekly. I cannot believe what a difference this can make in handleing. My car did not handle well and I could not figure it out until I learned that all of my tires were at different pressures and down as much as 20 lbs. Duh now it handles like it should. My only excuse is that it was winter and to dam cold to really check it out.

Makes a huge difference.....
Old 04-02-2007, 05:33 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Yes I've got the tyre pressures right for my 17" wheels (36 at the rear and 34 at the front).

On good road surfaces the car is sweet and planted but hit a bump or depression at speed and it will kick off my intended line . It feels like the affected wheel has temporarily lost contact with the road surface. I'm guessing this is a normal thing when running low/hard suspension as it can't soak up the undulations of the road as well as standard suspension.
Old 04-02-2007, 05:37 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Yes I've got the tyre pressures right for my 17" wheels (36 at the rear and 34 at the front).

On good road surfaces the car is sweet and planted but hit a bump or depression at speed and it will kick off my intended line . It feels like the affected wheel has temporarily lost contact with the road surface. I'm guessing this is a normal thing when running low/hard suspension as it can't soak up the undulations of the road as well as standard suspension.
The stock suspension was far worse! The set-up was pretty poor beforehand too with heavy steering. It took me a while to get my confidence back in the car after the change because I couldn't believe the improvement. The rear shocks were done at the same time as the springs - maybe it's time to look at the front shocks if it feels a bit bouncey?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:50 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by kusee pee
The stock suspension was far worse! The set-up was pretty poor beforehand too with heavy steering. It took me a while to get my confidence back in the car after the change because I couldn't believe the improvement. The rear shocks were done at the same time as the springs - maybe it's time to look at the front shocks if it feels a bit bouncey?
I wouldn't describe it as bouncy which would be the sign of weak shocks as you say. It's more of a hop over the offending bump. Once back to earth, everything is immediately back under control so I just need to point it in the right direction again.

p.s. front shocks are going to be changed soon anyway (because of their age), I just haven't decided whether to go with the standard Boge or fit bilsteins.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:40 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

I am in a similar situation and after some research decided to go with bilstein.No contest on performance it seems , but as a bonus i found somewhere selling them cheaper than Boge. Carnewal sell them for around 900 Euro full set of 4 with all taxes & postage.
Old 04-02-2007, 06:43 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 78 Likes on 41 Posts

PS - front struts only are 540 euro all in - way cheaper than Euro car parts etc.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:10 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
PS - front struts only are 540 euro all in - way cheaper than Euro car parts etc.
Thanks TJ. That's a good price, Type911 do them for £446.50 plus delivery. They're actually cheaper thant the Boge version.

Are you going to fit them yourself? I've seen DIY pages (Kevin's Warmfuzzies site is a good one) but can't decide if it's something I should be doing myself.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:01 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car is lowered on RUF suspension - and although it handles bumps pretty well, on a twisty but bumpy road it will struggle. Just means I don't drive (quite) as fast on those roads.

Quick Reply: Road handling of a lowered 964