Sponsored by:

Fedup with paint chips on my front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2007, 09:07 AM
jeffnudd
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fedup with paint chips on my front bumper

Every time i take the car out and then wash it i always spot the next stone chip to touch in. Ive been searching for a bra for sometime now but failed, is there a dealer for them?
The car has just been painted and i can see it getting ruined.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:20 AM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there are some films available that do a great job, I saw a whole bunch of new 997s with clear film that seemed to be a factory fit at a recent track event. Apart from looking hideous, car bras scratch your car, stear clear. Once I get my stone chips taken out I'll go the film.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:55 AM
jeffnudd
Racer

Originally Posted by spence88mph
there are some films available that do a great job, I saw a whole bunch of new 997s with clear film that seemed to be a factory fit at a recent track event. Apart from looking hideous, car bras scratch your car, stear clear. Once I get my stone chips taken out I'll go the film.
Actually thats a really good idea i never thought of clear film.

Cheers for the tip.
Old 04-01-2007, 07:55 PM
spence88mph
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cheers, if you get the good stuff it also doesn't block out UV too so your car fades evenly, not a nice thought of our cars fading but it happens...

I have no idea where you get it though, a friend of mine just worded me up on it.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:17 PM
MassGuy
Racer

I bought a bra for mine and I hate it. The film is a much better idea IMHO!
Old 04-01-2007, 09:08 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.clearbra.net/

A lot of detail shops here apply it. I also know of a couple people who have ordered it (they are custom precut pieces for the specific car model), and applied it themselves.
Old 04-02-2007, 07:02 AM
964rh
Pro

3M do a film specifically for this.
Several companies in the UK can apply laser cut pieces to virtually any part of your car. Paintguard, paintshield and armourfend are three that I know of. I'll let you know how much when I can get off my **** and ring round as my bumper should be back from the shop this week.
I believe Rob Mugglestone (one of Rennlists sponsors has this on his 964).
Also, Computermedic (aka Dave) had some German extra hard laquer applied when his respray was done. Not sure how he's getting on with it tho'
Rob
Old 04-02-2007, 07:49 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

I have 3M film over the headlight lenses, and can't tell it is there. You can't put film everywhere, so rock avoidance and occasional maintenance are always going to be necessary if you drive at speed in traffic. I keep a bottle of touch-up paint, and never follow trucks. My nose still has the factory-original paint in pretty good shape.

I agree with the comments about removable bras. I have not used one, but they look like they would flap in the wind with the straps rubbing the paint.
Old 04-02-2007, 03:08 PM
jeffnudd
Racer

My car has had a full paint job and new paint is always softer than the original unforunately so i always end up with a chip or two on the bumper and hood so its time to sort some clear film out.
I might give a local dealer a call tomorrow who has 3M gear on the shelf, i will let you know how i get on.

Quick Reply: Fedup with paint chips on my front bumper