Can't get deposit back(long)

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 11:34 PM
AndrewM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't get deposit back(long)

Guys,
I might need your help on a telephone campaign. Making a long story short, I found a 89 C4 project that I was going to undertake. The car was on consignment at a place I will disclose if this is not resolved in the nest 24-48 hrs. I left a 20% fully refundable deposit and drove 13 hrs to go pick up the car. Unfortunately, a very serious family issue came up and I had to immediately come back. Needless to say a project car was now out of the question. I contacted this establishment and was told that my deposit would be returned.Timeline is as follows:
-Electronic deposit sent 2/28/07
-I drive out in the next week and the deal doesn't happen, total time 6 days tops. I immediately inform the consignment dealer so he can put the car on the market. Week goes by, I hear nothing, I get another promise it will be taken care of 3/19/07 and have not heard from the guy since. All of a sudden the only person I can get hold of is the secretary who says he can't come to the phone.
I've tried calling, e-mailing, finally get a promise from the secretary that a check is in the mail, this was on 3/24/07. No check and it's 3/29/07... I live in Michigan, this place is in New Rochelle, NY.
I guess I have to go the legal route, I have been polite, but it's getting me nowhere. Sigh.... don't they know the Porsche community is small and this can only hurt them?
I'll give an update on Monday, then with your guys help, maybe we can tie up their phone lines with some calls about this matter. BTW, the family issue is getting better and the outcome looks good.
Thanks for the bandwidth...
Drew
86 930
97 C4S
Old 03-29-2007, 11:50 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Par Porsche?
Old 03-30-2007, 12:03 AM
AndrewM
Pro

Well, I didn't mention it
I just don't get it, do they really think I'm going to give up? I'll just take it nice and slow and call again tomorrow and see if I can get a hold of the owner Paul who's been avoiding me. It's a bad business practice... Even though a project Porsche is now out of the question,looks like I still am in the market for a good daily driver, and he had some. Oh well.....
Old 03-30-2007, 09:47 AM
Colin 90 C2
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate to say it, but you need to start legal action ASAP.
Time is not your friend when these matters are concerned.
At least send them a letter stating that you will start legal proceedings and make sure you have a "cc:" to an attorney.

Please tell me you have something in writing that the deposit was refundable.

May be a good time to post on other forums to find a lawyer in NY.

Good Luck
Old 03-30-2007, 10:15 AM
AndrewM
Pro

No answer to the last e-mail sent out yesterday.
Suprise, he's not in the office this morning, got to talk to the secretary who swears the check was picked up on Monday (not Saturday, story has already changed). We'll see if the check comes today or tomorrow. BTW, it's now a different check #....LOL
Life's learning experience.
I'll look for a lawyer in the meantime.

Quick Reply: Can't get deposit back(long)