Question for Targa and Cabriolet owners

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 06:49 PM
goliver
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question for Targa and Cabriolet owners

Hi all,

New poster to this forum. Been a long time p-car owner. Have had both coupe and Targa 911SCs and am in the market for a C2 after spending the last several years in the 928 community.

My question is for Targa and Cab owners. Is the wind noise and road noise about the same in both types of tops? Never ridden in a cab so I have no reference. I like the idea of the full convertible but not if it substantially is noiseier and more prone to leakage. I found that in my old Targa, if the top was set up right it would only lead a tiny amount at the front corner in a major deluge which is acceptable to me.

Thanks for the input, I appreciate it. Based on how this all goes I hope to be posting pics of my new baby for you all to see in the very near future.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:07 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Another thing to consider about a convertible besides the leaking and noise, is the cost of repairs. The tops break, and break often, and it is expensive even if you fix the parts yourself. That was the one thing I didn't like about my cabrio - the pending breakage and wearing out of the top. (now I own 3 964 coupes!)
Old 03-26-2007, 09:39 PM
mdadmd
Track Day

I have a 91' cab with 84k. I believe it is the 2nd top on the car. When I am on the highway it seems pretty quiet to me, however, the reason I have a cab, is to have a cab! Although I have not driven a coupe, I am very satisfied with the noise when driving at any speed. Hope this helps.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:00 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My 964 cab with a Gpipe is not noisy at all inside. Wind noise is minimal and no leaks in the rain. I do cringe everytime I open or close the top tho. 3 1/2 years of ownership and zero top problems and it is up and down alot. Think I have been more lucky then it being a quality mechanical top design.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:32 PM
goliver
Three Wheelin'

Great information folks. The cost of repairs to the top is something I could handle due to the fun of having a convertible. Do all the cabs have automatic tops? If the top fails can you still operate it manually in case you are on a trip and it is raining?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:36 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 90 targa. I was not too hip on the Targa..only due to the styling. But after driving w/ the top off, I was sold. MMy understanding too is that you can do DE's in the Targa with the top on. I do not think that is allowed in a 'vert unless you have a roll bar.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 PM
goliver
Three Wheelin'

Ducnine,

Good point about the DE's. I'm finally in a place where I can indulge myself a little bit without taking time away from the family and learn how to really drive a 911 on a track, so that is definately worth knowing.
Old 03-27-2007, 06:55 AM
IAN C2
Banned

you can allways convert the top to manual operation if you are reluctant to buy new motors , cables , gearboxes for a cab !!!!!
Old 03-27-2007, 02:19 PM
mada1
Racer

No leaking and just a little noise. So nice to drive in the spring with the heat on and the top off. Better than a motorcycle...no helmet!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-27-2007, 02:53 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

mada1, that's a great looking car! I suppose it's because the first Porsche I ever drove was a Targa, but I've always like the lines of the targa.
Old 03-27-2007, 03:52 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I passed on several good cab's because I just don't like the lines. So my choice was between a coupe and a targa, and something about the targa lines just grabs me, ever since I was a kid. It was the body style that made a 911 "different" to me from any other car. When this one popped up for sale, I was pleased.

As far as noise, gosh, I don't know - I rode in a '92 coupe, and mine is a little noisier, but heck - it's a GOOD noise!. It doesn't leak or squeak, and it doesn't shake to any degree that I would call annoying. I really like it.
Attached Images  
Old 03-27-2007, 04:55 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

My cab never sounded loud at all on the road - even with a primary muffler bypass - could always carry on a conversation without raising voice at all with top up. Top down it's just wind noise but what are you going to do about that? I think those wind deflector things are queer - so are brake pad wear sensors.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:05 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by chancecasey
I think those wind deflector things are queer
Most women won't enjoy having their hair blown all over without the deflector!!! You are single, perhaps??
Old 03-27-2007, 05:47 PM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Never driven a Cab, but the Targa is nice with the top off due to having the rear window deflecting wind coming behind you.
I have had it over 100 with the top off and its not too bad.
I drove it 350 miles in pouring rain the day I bought it, not one leak around the top.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:52 PM
chancecasey
Burning Brakes

I'm married - but wifey knows to put her hair up / wear a cap / or deal with it. I guess I just kind of wish Porsche stuck with "performance car" instead of "performance car with a bunch of gizmos" - e.g. - motorized cab tops. Pretty soon you'll have to shell out half a mil on a new 911, complete with lipstick and tampon dispensers. But I digress - sorry for the thread hijack.

I only had 1 very minor leak where the "vent" window didn't seal up good with the rubber strip above it - could have been fixed with a $100 new rubber strip - decided it wasn't that bad of a leak.

Quick Reply: Question for Targa and Cabriolet owners