Old 03-21-2007, 02:09 AM
964dude
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Looking to buy 964 C2 Cab in Colorado

I'm a 1st-time buyer in Colorado looking for:
964 cab or targa, black exterior/tan interior

I have 2 questions:
(1) Anyone have such a car for sale or the best place online for me to look?
(2) What's the downside to the targa other than the leaky roof? Noisier ride? Harder to resell?

Hope I'm not violating forum rules by posting this request. Very much appreciate all responses.
Thank you!
964dude (well, I plan to be a 964 dude soon as I can find the right one)
Old 03-21-2007, 07:37 AM
IAN C2
Banned

targa isn't noisier than a cabrio !!!!

how i see it , decide whever you want a coupe , targa , cabrio , c2 , c4 , turbo ...... whatever , then buy the best car you can afford !!!

no matter which 964 you buy , you will be happy ............ if you buy a good one !!

there are downsides to every car , but at least on here you have the resurces and friends to help sort the little problems

imho , if a car is a bargain because all it needs is a small job doing , you gotta ask yourself was it properly looked after and why hasnt the "little job" been done .

i have nothing much to offer , i like the coupes , but wanted wind-in-the-bald-patch motoring (once you had a summer in a cabrio , its hard not to have one !! )
the targa was the sensible coice as it can be made secure when you park , but i prefer the no-nonsence , the back of my neck is cold , rough and ready motoring the cab offers !!!

fit a cat by-pass , fabspeed duals , and do 150 with the roof down .... much better than the lads who think they're "roughing it" in their RS's
Old 03-21-2007, 10:42 AM
ddubois
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Like this one?

I live in Utah and was looking last fall for a 964 Cab. I found this one in So. Cal. Sorry it's not for sale at this time, but perhaps the pictures will help you decide on the Cab. I suspect your planned usage of the car is the same as mine, summer fun and winter storage? If so, I think the Cab is the hands down choice. I have to admit I hate the lines of the car when the top is up as compared to the clean lines of the coupe, but with the top down the lines are much more appealing.
I'll also tell you this is the only car I saw during a year long search in this color combo (black/tan). There are lots of black/black out there, and I like that look, but I figured with the top down in the summer a light seat would be more comfortable. Besides, being a fan of black & tan beers , this seemed the way to go. You can look at this thread for an idea of what you may be looking at as far as maintenance.
My second choice for color was red/tan, and there are plenty of those around, but the red/black top only further highlights the Cab lines I'm not overly fond of. The black hides the lines somewhat and is just plain better looking in my opinion.
I noticed during my search there were a reasonable amount of Colorado cars for sale. I would be leary of these if they were used in the winter. So. Cal is the best bet for those of us in the Rocky Mountain area. The cars are clean and rarely driven (59k on my 91). The biggest annoyance with So. Cal cars is the need for elaborate alarm systems, monster stereos, and early 90's phone systems, and the miles of wire and hacked up stock wiring that goes along with it.
Good luck in your search.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:18 AM
racerboy
Advanced

There have been a few for sale on craigslist Denver lately...
Old 03-21-2007, 12:03 PM
964dude
2nd Gear

Beautiful car, ddubois, and thanks for the tips. My planned usage is exactly that - spring/summer/fall fun and winter storage. Do you have any experience with the targa? The look of the car is appealing to me.

Thanks for the craigslist idea as well. Don't know why I didn't think of that, but I didn't.

964dude
Old 03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Berkley
Burning Brakes

Default Join PCA

They have a "Quest" program for folks looking to learn about Porsches and to use the PCA Shopping Mart on line......go to the website and read about it.....it is not expensive.

Having owned 964s, I would look to the 1992 to 1994 era....I love the 964 and to me they are more "Porsche" than 993s, 996s or 997s.....as they age they are not cheap to maintain, but get a good PPI and set aside $3,000 for surprises......If you have "wrenching" skills even more fun to own

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Looking to buy 964 C2 Cab in Colorado