Sponsored by:

Car Tracking Deviices

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 10:31 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Tracking Deviices

One of the conditions of my car insurance is that I have a tracking system installed on my 964. When I bought the car, it had a Thales system, who have since sent me a letter that they have ceased providing this service, and sold their customer base to Neo-Trac (T-Trac.com.au). T-Trac are phasing out the Thales system and want me to upgrade to their newer system at a cost of apprx $1600 supply and installation plus annual monitoring of about $400. The other alternative appears to be QuikTrak (www.quiktrak.com.au) whose system is about 30% cheaper and also includes a car alarm.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these systems, or can you suggest what I should look out for???
Old 03-20-2007, 11:05 AM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

This is not what you are asking...

Do all cars above a certain value have to be tracked, or have they looked at the new pricetag and forgotten that its 13-18 yrs old? Is this an Australian thing?
Old 03-20-2007, 05:06 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Originally Posted by Heirsh
This is not what you are asking...

Do all cars above a certain value have to be tracked, or have they looked at the new pricetag and forgotten that its 13-18 yrs old? Is this an Australian thing?
I don't think it has to do with value, but rather the likelyhood of car being stolen! Obviously they consider Porsches a much more attractive target for car thieves.
Old 03-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JohnMetro
One of the conditions of my car insurance is that I have a tracking system installed on my 964. Does anyone have any experience with either of these systems, or can you suggest what I should look out for???
I have just re-insured my 964 in Queensland and it cost me about $960 AUD with only the standard Porsche security system in place.
I would be looking for another insurance company as the 4-5 companies that I had quotes from none of then asked me to install a tracking system. Also the tracking system only seems to assist the insurance company in their potential recovery of the vehicle - it does not help you in not having the car stolen but they expect us pay for the install but do they offer a signicantly lower isurance premium?
Old 03-20-2007, 09:11 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Originally Posted by Twood
I have just re-insured my 964 in Queensland and it cost me about $960 AUD with only the standard Porsche security system in place.
I would be looking for another insurance company as the 4-5 companies that I had quotes from none of then asked me to install a tracking system. Also the tracking system only seems to assist the insurance company in their potential recovery of the vehicle - it does not help you in not having the car stolen but they expect us pay for the install but do they offer a signicantly lower isurance premium?
Good point Twood. The 2 insurers I got quotes from (Shannons was the other) both asked for Tracking System AND immoboliser as pre-requisites to insure me!

Out of interest, do many 964's get stolen? Who do they sell them to? If they get stripped for parts, I can't believe that any enthusiasts (or Rennheads) would ever buy used parts from someone in a pub! So why the obsession about tracking and immobilsers???
Old 03-20-2007, 09:26 PM
Twood
Racer

I am currently with Suncorp and they did not ask for any additional security. This was the same as with McGrath Fleming out of Sydney. I only went with Suncorp after they undercut the McGrath Fleming quote.
It annoys me that they ask for $'ooo of additional security or they will not insure you and sometimes I think its is because its a Porsche. I am sure that thieves do not specificly 964 Porsches.
I have to admit I go for the cheapest that still offers the same services as the more expensive-it allows me to spend the savings on essential things like cat bypasses etc
Old 03-20-2007, 09:31 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

I am currently with Suncorp and they did not ask for any additional security. This was the same as with McGrath Fleming out of Sydney. I only went with Suncorp after they undercut the McGrath Fleming quote.
It annoys me that they ask for $'ooo of additional security or they will not insure you and sometimes I think its is because its a Porsche. I am sure that thieves do not specificly 964 Porsches.
I have to admit I go for the cheapest that still offers the same services as the more expensive-it allows me to spend the savings on essential things like cat bypasses etc
Hmmm, I'm with McGrath Fleming, who definately did ask for the tracker when I took out insurance with them in Jan 2007! I may just give them a quick call, as I'd rather spend the $1500-$2000 on some good stuff too!

Is it possible that as you were just getting a quote they didn't mention it, and would have asked if you had gone ahead??? My premium is approx $1K, how does that compare with SunCorp???
Old 03-20-2007, 09:38 PM
Twood
Racer

Thats interesting.
McGarth Fleming definitely did not ask for the car tracking device and issued a policy for the car.
Maybe it is because I am in Queensland. I know that NSW is more expensive for insurance.
I am paying around $950 (insured for $50,000) and that includes a extra for the windscreen.
NRMA is not worth talking to - too expensive and the next closest was RACQ.
Old 03-20-2007, 09:42 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Thanks Twood. Yes, NRMA quoted me $6,000!!! Your'e also probably right about price variations because of stae, more thieves and low-lifes in NSW
I will still follow up with McF...

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:44 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Smile

Thats interesting.
McGarth Fleming definitely did not ask for the car tracking device and issued a policy for the car.
Maybe it is because I am in Queensland. I know that NSW is more expensive for insurance.
I am paying around $950 (insured for $50,000) and that includes a extra for the windscreen.
NRMA is not worth talking to - too expensive and the next closest was RACQ.
Hi Twood, I owe you a beer!
I just called McGrath Fleming, and you're right, no tracking required. You just saved me $2000!!! I wouldn't have called them to check except for your post... if you're ever in Sydney, or if I ever get up to sunny Qld, I'll definately be buying you a beer (or a case of the stuff!!!)
Old 03-20-2007, 11:48 PM
Twood
Racer

Good News-now you can spend that money on something worthwhile like a DE event or some go fast bit for the car.
Happy to help
Old 03-21-2007, 12:23 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Good News-now you can spend that money on something worthwhile like a DE event or some go fast bit for the car.
Happy to help
Yes, car is booked in for annual service on Monday. I don't expect much change from $2000 (there are a few niggling issues I want to address.

I am also going to ask about doing a CAT bypass!

Excuse my ignorance, I often see references to "DE" events... what does DE stand for???
Old 03-21-2007, 12:58 AM
Twood
Racer

Private Message sent
Old 03-21-2007, 03:51 AM
morganb
Instructor

I insured with Shannons with no tracker but on a limited mileage policy.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:30 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Originally Posted by morganb
I insured with Shannons with no tracker but on a limited mileage policy.
Hmmmm, Shannons were originally the ones I got quotes from who insisted that I have an immobilizer AND tracker, even with limited mileage policy...
ARe you insured in HK? Maybe they have different reuirements for different areas...

Quick Reply: Car Tracking Deviices