Sponsored by:

clutch (slave?) softening...

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 03:22 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Thumbs down wet black sludge

Removed and opened up that old slave and found some pretty nasty damp, black sludge build-up on the non-pressured side of the seal. (Pictures of this later.) The sludge had small black bits and pieces in it. I figure this debris to mostly be clutch dust/debris that's found its way into the pleated rubber actuator boot interior. Both the seal's perimeter and the barrel appeared smooth enough. No signs of corrosion anywhere. The pressurized side of the seal seemed somewhat cleaner from it's recent bleeding.

The sludge tells me something's been weeping by for some time, the lack of any build-up on the plunger arm's pleated rubber protector's inner surface tells me this leaking was minor, and the seal's uniform sealing perimeter says nothing catastophic has occurred.

Nothing super-obviously wrong with that slave's guts.

But still -- moist sludge ain't the sign of a perfectly working seal. So, I remain hopeful for what the new slave brings.
Old 03-23-2007, 04:39 AM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts
Default pics

Things went smoothly with the remove and replacing of the clutch slave. (Sorry folks, but I wasn't one of the "had it done in an hour" kinda people. Took it slow and steady and did all this over the course of a couple evenings with the car on a jack stand @ driver's side-rear.

Followed the suggestions found in this thread, here.
(The suggestion of removing the airbox & it's airduct -- priceless. Also, the one about cocking the slave mount holes on the mounting studs in order to start the bottom mounting nut, works like a champ!)

Below are before, during, and after shots. (I took off the rubber inspection/access cover for the 1st shot, reinstalled it by the last...)
After removing the slave, I opened it up and you can see the sludge on the unpressurized side of the piston.
After cleaning out the black goo, the old slave barrel looked adequately shiny.
The tube of grease is per Jason's "release fork receiving cup" pointer. Worked quite nicely.

Anyway, tomorrow will tell if this replacement was the fix to the problem.

Update:

Hard, heated run produced no problems with clutch. Clutch firm throughout. Problem solved.
Attached Images    

Last edited by elbeee964; 03-12-2008 at 02:31 AM.

Quick Reply: clutch (slave?) softening...