Retrofitting later lower dash

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:11 PM
Gary C2 UK
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retrofitting later lower dash

Guys,

one of my last mods to my RS style C2 is to fit the lower dash normally fitted to the airbag model cars (all left hand drive I believe?) and the UK Turbos and all 993's. My car previous had the simpler lower dash panels as per RS models and early UK cars.

Unfortunately it's not possible to have two glove boxes as the original gloves box hinges won't work with the later dash. Also the floor air vent needs to be replaced for the shorter version as it gets in the way of the later glove box.

I have run into a little problem......Firstly the ashtray area is different on the actual metal framework of the car, there is an extra piece of metal welded (which I will need to remove) which stops the later dash from being pushed far enough back into the correct position. Hopefully once this metal is removed I will be able to get the dash pushed far enough back.

My main question here lies in where the metal bar mounts to the central tunnel? The piece I mean is the aluminium bar that comes up through the centre of the carpetted area of the console and fixes to the lower dash behind the ashtray.

There was a good post by "dfinnegan" a while back but unfortunately there are no pictures of what is attached under the carpet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gary

Quick Reply: Retrofitting later lower dash