Sponsored by:

Porsche Factory Visit

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 10:56 PM
CRG
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Porsche Factory Visit

I'm headed to Germany 1-10 April and will be in Stuttgart for a few days. I'm going to try and visit the Porsche factory. If any one has been there and could give me the skinny on best times to go, cool things to check out, etc. I would apperciate it.

you know I'll be doing some of this
and tearing up my rental BMW doing some of this hey it's a rental
Craig
Old 03-16-2007, 11:56 PM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The current factory museum is small but very cool. They are in the process of building a new one, but I don't think it is ready yet.

I emailed the factory re: factory tours so that I could learn the dates/times of the English speaking tours. The tour itself is interesting and a must-do for every Porsche enthusiast. During our tour a C4S' drivetrain and engine fell off one of the stands shutting down the line. This was soon after the tour guide said, "the line never stops moving". I wonder who's C4S that was...

Also while in Stuttgart, go to the Mercedes museum. They were also building a new one when i was there but I think the new Mercedes museum is probably finished by now. The Mercedes museum is much larger than the Porsche museum and does a nice job chronicling the history of the automobile. My parents, non car people, actually were the ones who recommended it to me. it is almost a must-see for car people.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:27 AM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 18 Posts

I was at the Porsche Museum and New Mercedes museum in Oct last year.

The Porsche museum is very small. The Factory Tour is cool although very short and through Engine assembly and White body assembly. I think it was only 2 hours long.

It would have been cool to see the White body get welded together but that is not to be. The Zuffenhausen area where the factory is located is very crowded and its hard to believe that there is a car factory there. At one point I counted about a dozen Turbos just parked in the lot adjecent to the factory I bet just waiting to get shipped. I also saw an Orange and a Green GT3 being loaded on a truck

The Porsche Factory Dealership is right across the street. 3 Floors of Porsches. See attached pic. You can do the Porsche tour and exploration in about a half day.

You will need at least a full day if not more to explore the many areas of the New Mercedes museum though. Its Huge. As well as the huge attached dealership.

Nevertheless you will have a good time. When I was walking through Zuffenhausen, I was just imagining my car going down the line back in 1990.
Attached Images  
Old 03-17-2007, 09:05 AM
DrJupeman
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Pics from 2005 (sorry for the quality of some of these):

Old 03-17-2007, 03:49 PM
zicoramone
Aficionado
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the pics