Sponsored by:

Half Price Porsches

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 08:26 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by robh
Not forgeting the cost of fuel..0.90p for 95 ron.

Couldn't beleive the cost of petrol in the States, $2.5 a gallon. San Fran to Vegas in a Mustand rental last week for $40!! WTF!!!!
Yeah, I shouldn't bitch too much. We have some pretty spectacular drivers roads (Great Ocean Road is wqorth it if any of you foreigners ever visit!), and also some relatively cheap gas/petrol/fuel (talke your pick) at about $1/litre, PLUS the bonus of unrestricted speed limits in the Northern Territory (though that was changed in Jan 07, but the politicians are bickering over whether to bring it back). We can also RE-SELL our cars for these stupiod inflated prices.

So all in all, we're not doing too badly
Old 03-13-2007, 08:36 AM
964rh
Pro

Originally Posted by JohnMetro
Yeah, I shouldn't bitch too much. We have some pretty spectacular drivers roads (Great Ocean Road is wqorth it if any of you foreigners ever visit!), and also some relatively cheap gas/petrol/fuel (talke your pick) at about $1/litre, PLUS the bonus of unrestricted speed limits in the Northern Territory (though that was changed in Jan 07, but the politicians are bickering over whether to bring it back). We can also RE-SELL our cars for these stupiod inflated prices.

So all in all, we're not doing too badly
Yep, did the Great Ocean Road in 2003 in a rental. Great drive from Melbourne.
And the fact you've got a country me and the missus would love to live in!!
Old 03-13-2007, 12:13 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what is the purpose of the taxes. Is it a protective tariff or remnant of one?
Old 03-13-2007, 12:21 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

YES, Steve, exactly that. Until only a few years ago, we had nearly 100% duties to protect local industries. Yeah, 'cause we had so many companies making Australian competitors to Porsche!

Now (the remnant) is called a "Luxury Car Tax". It still nearly doubles the price!!!
Old 03-13-2007, 12:27 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Originally Posted by JimOz
Bit of an issue now with importing cars in Oz. Must be built before 1988 or the taxes will kill ya or must have owned the car overseas and be bringing it back with you to Australia. Previously 15 year rule applied so if the car was over 15 years old you could import it. Saw a number of 964's come into the country from Hong Kong - no conversion required.

Even then these would still be available for the bargain price of around $45,000.
HK cars are very hard to sell. Easy to spot against the genuine (Aus) model, which was same as ROW, but standard specced quite high (full leather, sunroof etc). HK cars have no wiper on rear window, no high window tail-light, and several other easy tell-tale signs. The one or two I looked at had very shady histories, no books etc.

If getting a HK car, make sure you adjust price accordingly, low $40K's would be tops!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:06 PM
Peter Badore
Advanced

It is not the the cold winter alone that is the problem but literally the tons per mile of road salt dumped to quickly clear snow and ice. Porsches suffer as much corrosion damage as most other cars.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:18 AM
David P
Instructor

Hi Guys,

Talking of high prices. Went and looked at a 90 C4 coupe today, 109,000 km on the clock at a asking price $60,000 AUD.

You guys in the States & UK have got it good when it comes to resonably priced cars.
Where are you based jimOZ. I might know of a 90 C4 coupe for sale...

DavidP
Old 03-14-2007, 07:35 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Originally Posted by David P
Where are you based jimOZ. I might know of a 90 C4 coupe for sale...

DavidP
I have been watching prices intently for the last 4-6 months, and at the risk of stating the bleeding obvious, it appears that (assuming condition/history are equal) that the year/mileage is a lessor factor than Triptronic/Coupe/Targa/Cabrio.

Most claim an immaculate service history, but I now believe that not all services were created equal. In other words the QUALITY of the service is more important than the frequency.

Prices can vary from low $40K's to high $60K's (Oz dollars)
Old 03-15-2007, 06:52 AM
JimOz
Instructor

David,

I'm in Adelaide but will travel for the right car.

thanks

Jim
Old 03-15-2007, 09:28 AM
David P
Instructor

Jim,

You have mail

David P
Old 03-15-2007, 02:41 PM
JJJMCD
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

It's not that the cars themselves are cheap here, it's that the dollar is sliding fast due to inflationary fears resulting from George Bush's disasterous economic policy of combining massive increases in expenditures (from Iraq and the Medicare prescription drug benefit) with significant cuts in government revenue through tax cuts. Because it's difficult to arbitrage non-financial instruments, the prices haven't fully adjusted for cars, collector art and other less than fully liquid items. These items are priced as if the $/GBP exchange ratio was $1.2/1GBP, rather than the actual $1.9/1GBP. For items that are valuable enough to justify the hassle in shipping them, this is why these items are now being bought in droves by Europeans out of the US.
Old 03-16-2007, 08:54 AM
Don Finuch
AutoX

I have a HK car. She's immaculate. Great service history too. Drives better than many AUS delivery vehicles I drove that were asking significantly more. And hard to sell? I've been closely watching the market myself. The demand for a low km, manual, coupe, C4 far outstrips supply. I think she'd be snapped up pretty quick.

Oh, and you're right about the HK cars not having the ugly rear break lights, but incorrect about the rear wiper.

Old 03-18-2007, 08:45 AM
morganb
Instructor

Don,

I have sent 3 cars back from HK to Oz and could have sent a 4th. I think you will find there is a premium on the local delivered cars over an imported one unless you have a unique car (Say 964RS). Around 15 to 30% lower than the Aust market cars. One thing that put me off sending back my 4th car (964 3.6 turbo with 30K KM's in excellent condition) was going to be the eventual selling of it.
Old 03-18-2007, 09:24 PM
JimOz
Instructor

Go on send it to Australia. We need more porsches on our roads irrespective of where they were originally delivered. As for far as being put off be the eventual sale I'm sure the profit made on disposal will help ease the pain somwhat.

Jim
Old 03-25-2007, 01:23 AM
Don Finuch
AutoX

Morganb, I wouldn't hesitate sending back a turbo. Those babies are like hen's teeth round here. You'll make a tidy profit I'm sure.

Quick Reply: Half Price Porsches