Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone hear of this? (long/soapbox)

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 12:03 AM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone hear of this? (long/soapbox)

Got my valves adjusted 6 months and 2,000 miles ago. I fired the Chump/Chimp PCA mechanic (soon to be named here) for nickel and dime thievery anyway but get this: I hired a second mechanic to replace the timing chain gasket. Second mechanic offers to do a valve cover gasket/valve job as a COURTESY because he felt the valve covers were leaking way too much than expected after a recent valve job...

Few days later, the new mechanic phones and tells me that while doing the valve job, he notices that they have no clearance - 0.00! After he adjusts, all my rough Idle issues DISAPPEAR.
So, the question in my mind is - and i really know the answer but I have to ask anyway - is there anything i could've done to the engine in those 2,000 miles and 6 months to create a need for another valve job?

I'm going to take it up with first Chump/Chimp mechanic. Do I have a case with this ****sucker?
Old 03-12-2007, 01:04 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 563 Likes on 430 Posts

Sorry to hear of this, but good thing it got fixed before too much trouble occurs. Sounds like the first mechanic tried to do the job, but was no good at it. There are good ones, and there are bad ones! That's why it's nice to do it yourself - then you know it was done right.

If there is no clearance, there is a chance of burning a valve because it doesn't get a chance to sit on the valve seat to cool itself off. Hopefully no damage happened!!!

Last edited by garrett376; 03-12-2007 at 02:15 PM. Reason: needs correct punctuation!
Old 03-12-2007, 12:15 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Sorry to hear. Tell us who that first guy is, so we make sure NOT to go there.
Old 03-12-2007, 01:42 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"is there anything i could've done to the engine in those 2,000 miles and 6 months to create a need for another valve job? "
No .

But running the motor with the valve set that way could cause you to really need a real valve job .
My wild guess is that the valves were set without a feeler gauge . IE , just grab it and see if its "loose". Or maybe the feeler gauge used was way way to thin .

After the valve clearance gets set correctly , a leak down to see if any are leaking might be a good idea . Running tight lets hot exhaust gas escape and burn the seat and valve and the lack of cooling
via the valve not sitting on the seat as garrett376 pointed out , just cooks the valve .
Old 03-12-2007, 07:11 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

If the valves were set bad enough to affect the idle, I would be worried. If the rough idle is gone, you might just be lucky enough that no major damage was done.

I agree with the advice to drive a few hundred miles with the correct adjustment, and then check the leakdown. I would get a statement from the second mechanic on the "as-found" clearances. That with the bill for the valve adjustment, and you have a claim for any damage done. Please report the guy. Nobody wants to spend money to have damage done to their car.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:23 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here he is. This may stir debate but I don't give a rat's a**! I'm PISSED.

Formula Motorsports

Quick Reply: Anyone hear of this? (long/soapbox)