Sponsored by:

sunroof felt replacement help

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 09:17 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Default sunroof felt replacement help

I'm a little fed up with the way the sunroof felt looks at the sunroof rear.

However, I appear to be unable to find any pictures showing me how to replace this, I've searched a little, looked in the manual, and am now stuck.

So could anyone help a little??

I have the rear zip open, fat lot of good that did, it's all cover in foam, taken the internal vinyl off fat lot of good there, do I really have to take it all to bits?? I hope not, though I will if i have to.

TIA for any help.

Kevin
Old 03-10-2007, 09:31 AM
psychoideas
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Kevin,
I can't help, but when you find out, I need to do mine as well!!
Old 03-10-2007, 10:00 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I believe you need to remove the sunroof panel to put the felt on. The back piece goes on the panel, itself. The front/sides piece goes on the car. I need to do this too, but haven't gotten to it yet.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:01 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

Ok, found out how, will post some pictures up as I go, I found a link after this post, how typical is that.......and it looks pretty easy........

8 bolts, or so, and the sunroofs out, I reckon on a 2 hour job to re felt and replace......let you know in a couple of days when all the parts come in.

Kevin.
Old 03-10-2007, 10:13 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Can you post the link to the link you've found?
Old 03-10-2007, 11:17 AM
warmfuzzies
Drifting

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...hlight=sunroof

Here you go..............mines going to be a while before I post any pics, I found my headlining on the sunroof wasn't looking so well attached when I got it out, so i'll be ordering some of that and do the whole thing properly later.

Kevin
Old 03-10-2007, 05:13 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 55 Posts

I just replaced my sunroof cables, felts and sunroof transmission. The felts are not as easy as one would think.

Pay special attention to where the front and rear felts overlap and how they overlap. You may have to modify the new felt to overlap correctly.

Inside the felts are a metal strip and a rubber tube (for lack of a better way to describe it), all nicely glued inside the felts. What you may have to do is carefully cut open the felt to trim the rubber tube so the overlap is correct with the front felt. Of course my new felts were not the exact same length as the orginals. Front was longer, rear shorter.

If you use the black 3M weatherstrip glue I would suggest you mask off the edges of your roof and panel. Follow the directions on the glue - exactly as stated and take your time. Avoid getting any glue on the top edge of the felts as its a PITA to remove. Ask me how I know. Make sure the felt comes above the sunroof opening the same amount as the other seals. It looks to be about 1/16" inch.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:06 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

I'll just reiterate what 911urge stated about where the felts come together. This is the key to making it look good. I've done this job twice; once because my felts were fading and ugly, and a second time because the job I did the first time was ugly. I had that stupid glue everywhere, it's very hard to separate from the end of the tube and you end up with these long strands of glue like pizza cheese.
The second time I did it, I cut open the end of the felt with a razor blade and then cut away about a centimeter of the rubber tubing that's inside. Do this for both pieces so that when they overlap each other they'll be flat.
Good luck and be patient.

Quick Reply: sunroof felt replacement help