Sponsored by:

gasket removal tech

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gasket removal tech

Just wondering what others do. I have always used a gasket scraper and lots of elbow grease but it's a real PIA. Anybody have any quicker techniques.??? I know 3m do a gasket disc but can't seem to get one in the UK.
Old 03-09-2007, 02:10 PM
964rh
Pro

Laurence

What about this from demon tweeks...

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...code=MSD260009

Rob
Old 03-09-2007, 02:19 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Laurence Gibbs
Just wondering what others do. I have always used a gasket scraper and lots of elbow grease but it's a real PIA. Anybody have any quicker techniques.??? I know 3m do a gasket disc but can't seem to get one in the UK.
Usually if you find rust on a 964 or 993 it is the result of mechanic using one of those gasket disc/removers and not bothering to repaint the area before installing the new gasket. 3M sells a liquid adhesive remover that requires a little more work but leaves you with much better results (the base primer stays intact).
Old 03-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Laurence Gibbs
Racer

Have you tried the liquid gasket remover, I was wondering how good it is? I did see that set of discs in demon tweeks catalogue I suppose I should ring up and find out exactly what it is they are selling (very easy to sell any old sanding disc and say it's a gasket remover!). I am hoping a few more people who have been doing this recently may have some advice. It's very easy to stay with the dark age methods simply coz you don't get to hear of anything better. The gaskets i'm removing are'nt on the 964 but an Alfa Boxer engine i'm rebuilding. But same techniques should apply.There are still carbon impreg and rtv type gaskets and stuff to be removed.

Quick Reply: gasket removal tech