Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just went to see if they'd finished painting my car...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:40 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just went to see if they'd finished painting my car...

Since they said it would take 3-4 days and I dropped it off on Sat. Unfortunately - the fact that it currently has no front or rear window, no rear lights etc. means it's not quite ready to collect.

It's all been prepared and will be painted tomorrow - and I was pretty impressed by what I saw. I'm no paint expert but it looked like they had been pretty thorough. When I took it in for the quote, I mentioned that there was an area on the bonnet (from some previous paintwork) where you could see a small circular area in the right light. I forgot to mention this again when I dropped the car off - but when they walked me around it today showing what they had done that part was prepared ready for paint.

I actually got a quote for my other car while I was there, since there is some paint on that which doesn't match terribly well. Assuming the paintwork lives up to their work so far, the Supra will also go there within the next few weeks.

I can't collect the car on Sat, so should get it back Monday night. I'm really looking forward to collecting my car knowing that - on the outside - it will now be immaculate. Seats next!
Old 03-08-2007, 01:30 PM
964rh
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave

Where are you getting this done and dare I ask how much???

Rob
Old 03-08-2007, 01:38 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Just around the corner (Bodyworks, Camberley) at the place James Allum recommended. It's not the whole car - I knew I had a few bits that needed doing and thought it was probably simpler to get the whole car done. But they actually advised against it. They said that if I wanted them to they would paint the whole car (and mentioned a figure of £1,500) but that it was totally unnecessary and made far more sense to just do the bits that needed it.

So it's the roof (was a small amount of rust by the rear window and top left of above the windscreen), the rear spoiler (I got too carried away with T cut one day), rear bumper, headlight surrounds.

I think that was all of it - although I have a feeling I've forgotten something - total cost £500 + VAT.
Old 03-08-2007, 02:13 PM
964rh
Pro

That's not bad for what their doing. I was quoted locally £600 to get the bumpers and skirts painted the same colour(Red)

£1500 not bad for a full spray either, I'm trying to hold off until I can afford (justify to the boss!) and get the whole lot done. Found a few bits of rust, nothing major, but they are really doing my head in.

I'd like to know what kind of job they've done when finished, I don't mind travelling for a decent one.

Rob
Old 03-08-2007, 02:15 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I'll let you know. James was happy with his - and they were recommended to him by Roly Baldwin (EPorsch) so I'm expecting it to be pretty good. I know some people have paid £1K + vat for the roof to be done, so I'm pretty happy with the price.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:38 AM
jamesallum
Instructor

Yep still very happy with mine and averaging 1 compliment every time I take her out. Damn shame it’s all from middle aged blokes and teenaged lads.

Maybe I should have got that pink elephant on the bonnet that Dave was considering! Might have ensured some more female attention!
Old 03-11-2007, 11:08 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by jamesallum
Yep still very happy with mine and averaging 1 compliment every time I take her out. Damn shame it’s all from middle aged blokes and teenaged lads.

Maybe I should have got that pink elephant on the bonnet that Dave was considering! Might have ensured some more female attention!
I'm pretty sure that men who drive cars with pink elephants on the bonnet are far more likely to get attention from other men than from females!
Old 03-11-2007, 05:16 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DaveK
I'm pretty sure that men who drive cars with pink elephants on the bonnet are far more likely to get attention from other men than from females!
Better go wash mine off quick...
Old 03-12-2007, 03:24 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Well, I have the car back. It's ridiculous really - I've had the car 5.5 years, got tired of it and tried to sell it a couple of times during that period and yet today, I felt like a kid waiting for Christmas. The sunshine over the last few days really made me miss it - and I really wanted to use it on Sat. when I had a 200 mile round trip.

Anyway - to the paintwork, and does it live up to expectations....

Yes, and no.

They've done a very good job. Polished out the imperfection I had in the bonnet. Didn't see any problem with any of the paintwork they've done. Roof looks lovely. Bumper is excellent - they've even fixed the couple of dings that were in the centre section (which have been there since I bought the car). They pointed out that there were a couple of areas that we'd missed when we were checking what needed painting - one tiny area in the corner of the engine cover looks a bit like it's had touch up paint over rust. But the paint is solid and it's not changed in 5.5 years so I'd forgotten all about it - maybe get it done at some point in the future.
They also said that the rear window seal I gave them (which I bought 3 or 4 years ago) seems to be one for a non heated rear window. Mine used to have a channel for the wiring to the rear window but the new one doesn't - but they have done a neat enough job.

And the bad bits.....

Unfortunately, this is really a result of the things I had painted rather than any problem with their work - because I had individual parts done, of course there is no blending in. This is most noticeable on the headlight rings - I'm not convinced I'd notice if I didn't already know - but they are a bit brighter white than the wings. This is not noticeable at all for the roof. I couldn't decide whether it was noticeable for the mirrors or not (which means it's probably not). The spoiler does look a little brighter - but it's less noticeable than the headlight surrounds. Rear bumper - maybe very very slightly, but I'm not sure. Need to take a look on a better day.

The only thing that I did think was a little odd is that they painted the mirrors - but not the mirror base! On one of the mirrors it highlights the fact that the base is not in the best condition so I may have to get that done at some point in the future.

Generally, I'm pretty happy though. If we have decent weather at the weekend, I need to give it a good clean (although they did clean it extremely well) - and may get some of the autoglym equivalent of T-cut on the rest of the car and see if that helps the headlight rings to blend in.

The other thing I need to do at the weekend is go and see the retrimming guy they recommended.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:27 PM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
Cool

You should know better by now....

Old 03-12-2007, 04:28 PM
DaveK
Race Car

I am planning to add some - but it's probably going to have to wait until the weekend. The evenings are not really light enough here yet.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:59 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny..I found myself coming to check this thread just to see if you got it back and what your impressions were. I wonder if the pics will show the discrepancies you noticed.

Question: When they realized there were one or two things that were missed on the initial walkthrough why didn't they just call you and see if you wanted to include them?

As far as feeling 'niggled' (did I just use that word?!) by any imperfections in the paint match; when I updated my mirrors to aero's, I was disappointed that they didn't seem an EXACT match. No one else noticed at the time and now a couple of years later I honestly don't notice any difference myself. I wouldn't worry too much.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:02 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Kahdmus
Question: When they realized there were one or two things that were missed on the initial walkthrough why didn't they just call you and see if you wanted to include them?
I think they only noticed when they were cleaning the car ready for collection - the parts they noticed were not next to the bits they were painting.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:46 PM
jamesallum
Instructor

I too will take some pics of the work they did on mine at the weekend. I also have some of them cutting out the rusted section which are interesting.

If I’m being a perfectionist the three niggles I have are:
1) It could have done with better machine buffing - mind you they did work until 9pm the previous eve to ensure it was ready for me
2) The trim now looks poor (rubbers need replacing for cosmetic reasons)
3) The Carrera 4 badge was damaged and they promised to order a new one which I need to chase them on.

But for £1k I am still delighted. Funny thing is that I need three further things done on car before I am totally happy:
1) Retrimming the seats
2) fixing the a/c - quotes of £400-£500 so far
3) New pads and discs within 4,000 miles

Dave, we should really start asking for bulk discounts!
Old 03-13-2007, 11:22 AM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveK
They said that if I wanted them to they would paint the whole car (and mentioned a figure of £1,500) but that it was totally unnecessary and made far more sense to just do the bits that needed it.

I think that was all of it - although I have a feeling I've forgotten something - total cost £500 + VAT.

Wow thats good prices. Some bits Id like to do to mine. Wing mirrors for one. Also at one point the drivers side of the car.
Bonnet bumper and pasenger side were all painted brilliantly by neinmeister unfortunately I could not afford for them to finish the rest of the car.

Let us know how you get on with the trimmer.

Quick Reply: Just went to see if they'd finished painting my car...