Sponsored by:

Wheel refinish idea - gotta do it - need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:07 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wheel refinish idea - gotta do it - need suggestions

I have it in my head to refinish my Porsche sport classic 17" BBS style summer "street" wheels to match this wheel I'm buying to mount on my GTI with summer 18's and some sticky tires.

NE1 have any good ideas as to who might be the best shop to send them out to? I also "might" try it myself.....

FYI - here's what they look like currently.

TIA
Attached Images   
Old 02-27-2007, 10:14 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's a 70yr old black guy in a shack downtown here in Wichita KS that does INCREDIBLE work on wheels for dirt cheap(He refinished a set of speedline factory 965 turbo wheels for me for $100 haha) and he's considered one of the best kept secrets in the state... Wish i could remember the name of his shop off the top of my head

as for those wheels, are they the AR-1s? my buddy just got those for his M3!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:23 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 74carreraturbo
there's a 70yr old black guy in a shack downtown here in Wichita KS that does INCREDIBLE work on wheels for dirt cheap(He refinished a set of speedline factory 965 turbo wheels for me for $100 haha) and he's considered one of the best kept secrets in the state... Wish i could remember the name of his shop off the top of my head

as for those wheels, are they the AR-1s? my buddy just got those for his M3!
Tease! Ya gotta get me that shop name and info!!

BTW - no, mine are called AR2. this is the AR1. The AR2 rules it IMHO...
Attached Images  
Old 02-27-2007, 10:25 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Originally Posted by CanyonBlaster
Tease! Ya gotta get me that shop name and info!!

BTW - no, mine are called AR2. this is the AR1. The AR2 rules it IMHO...

I must'a had it wrong, the ones he has are the AR2 because I know his arent the chrome finish... NICE wheels... What is the proper offset for our cars and I'm still not sure how a 265 series tire fits on a 10" wheel without being a rubberband??

I'll find the name of the place and get you some pics of the finished products!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:35 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

I must'a had it wrong, the ones he has are the AR2 because I know his arent the chrome finish... NICE wheels... What is the proper offset for our cars and I'm still not sure how a 265 series tire fits on a 10" wheel without being a rubberband??

I'll find the name of the place and get you some pics of the finished products!
Tirerack shows AR2 is avail for M3. do you agree that it is the accent that adds all the fa-shnizzle on this wheel? I need to refinish my silver painted 17's to match.

FWIW, I don't agree with going with 18's on the 964. many have done it and it can look very cool and "current", but doesn't leave enough sidewall IMHO and the car doesn't need it for handling/ response, especially with tuned suspension. Be aware that there are some additional parts required (bump steer stops or something - search is your friend in that dept.)

just my .02 cents.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:44 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Tirerack shows AR2 is avail for M3. do you agree that it is the accent that adds all the fa-shnizzle on this wheel? I need to refinish my silver painted 17's to match.

FWIW, I don't agree with going with 18's on the 964. many have done it and it can look very cool and "current", but doesn't leave enough sidewall IMHO and the car doesn't need it for handling/ response, especially with tuned suspension. Be aware that there are some additional parts required (bump steer stops or something - search is your friend in that dept.)

just my .02 cents.

I have absolutely no issues with going with a 17" wheel, the problem is that i see the only options to be the hollow spoke turbo wheel or the cup wheel and i'd like something a little different... it's not easy to find 17s with the proper offset on this car

I definitely agree that it's the accents that entirely make that wheel... it would be a nice upgrade to your wheels for sure!
Old 02-27-2007, 10:49 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

I have absolutely no issues with going with a 17" wheel, the problem is that i see the only options to be the hollow spoke turbo wheel or the cup wheel and i'd like something a little different... it's not easy to find 17s with the proper offset on this car

I definitely agree that it's the accents that entirely make that wheel... it would be a nice upgrade to your wheels for sure!
cool/ great x change going on here. FYI - any boxster wheel will fit great, lotsa nice 17's out there. even OEM 17 cup 2's are pretty clean........AFAIK, hollow spokes are only in 18.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:55 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

cool/ great x change going on here. FYI - any boxster wheel will fit great, lotsa nice 17's out there. even OEM 17 cup 2's are pretty clean........AFAIK, hollow spokes are only in 18.

Really? That helps alot because there are some boxster wheels I really like! I'm just so partial to those 18" thin spoke carrera wheels that it's hard to sway me off that. Maybe even a set of AR2's are a good possibility, I definitely don't want to compromise handling and would like to keep the ride as livable as possible with it already being lowered... hmm, it sounds like my 17"conscious is trying to tell me something
Old 02-27-2007, 11:23 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Really? That helps alot because there are some boxster wheels I really like! I'm just so partial to those 18" thin spoke carrera wheels that it's hard to sway me off that. Maybe even a set of AR2's are a good possibility, I definitely don't want to compromise handling and would like to keep the ride as livable as possible with it already being lowered... hmm, it sounds like my 17"conscious is trying to tell me something
AR2's not avail for p-cars.
That's why I am refinishing mine.
Old 02-27-2007, 11:48 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

AR2's not avail for p-cars.
That's why I am refinishing mine.
damnit

what other aftermarket wheels are possible on this car?? I'd like to keep them as affordable as possible as i already have a $3K set of fikse wheels on the other porsche
Old 02-28-2007, 11:04 PM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

bump - for more input on refinish shops.....Thanks

Quick Reply: Wheel refinish idea - gotta do it - need suggestions