Sponsored by:

"Never Driven in the Rain"

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 01:12 PM
mada1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Never Driven in the Rain"

I see this sometimes in ads and wonder if and why this is a good thing. I have to admit I don't drive mine in the rain very much (no particular reason, just drive my 4WD instead).
I know that 911s were built to be driven and I understand not driving it in winter because of chemicals and salt on the roads but how about the rain; is it bad for any of the parts/rubber?

Also, does washing your car often have the same effect on the car as the rain?
Points to ponder...as I watch it come down here in P-town.

Last edited by mada1; 02-22-2007 at 02:20 PM.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:27 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I keep mine in a bubble and only look at it at sunrise or sunset. Don't want to drive it, it's just too pristine

All those "never seen rain/snow/etc" ads are BS. You've never been caught in an unexpected summer rain? C'mon! Why would it be bad to drive it in those sonditions? Our cars are meant to be driven hard in all seasons. Salt and chemicals can be washed off as well. Our cars have galvanized body panels, so they won't rust unless they're damaged by impact.

To answer your question about washing, if you use a dirty sponge or water rich in minerals, you will scratch the clear coat, but so what? It's a friggin car, not a museum piece. The fun of ownership is in driving it
Old 02-22-2007, 01:35 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friends father had a A.H. 100 4 , he would not drive it in the rain , he had it from day 1 , it was beautiful . I got a ride in it one time , the car was driven around a small puddle , it could not have been more than a tenth on an inch deep .
Old 02-22-2007, 02:13 PM
colo964
Advanced

Some people are pusillanimous and worship virginity. They make me sick.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:19 PM
greenjt
Racer

I try hard not to drive mine in the rain. not becuase it can't take it but so i don't have to wash it so often. It's not always easy finding the time to wash it.

Of course it's now sitting in the garage dirty from the rain i got caught in last week when my wife's car was in the shop and i had to leave my MB home for her.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:23 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I don't intentionally TRY to drive mine in the rain, I certainly don't panic if I happen to get caught in it. It all washes off. Even the underside if someone is a real nut about detailing. Besides, everytime I'm in one of my sports cars on a gloomy, dark, rainy day with the headlights glowing and the windshield wipers going, it conjures up all of the cool old photos I've seen from LeMans of the Porsches and Ferraris racing in the rain.
Attached Images  
Old 02-22-2007, 02:38 PM
911skb
Instructor

If we didn't drive in the rain here in the PNW, we would have a 2 week driving window! I agree, if it's storming out, then I won't drive it, will pick the family hauler for the general wear and tear.

I do want to get out to a DE day in the rain, to raise my wet weather driving skills.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:39 PM
Svaha
Pro

To me it seems like a way of expressing the extreme care that has been lavished on said car.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
... Our cars have galvanized body panels, so they won't rust unless they're damaged by impact...
AND they have magic forcefields (that's what the "!" button is for..)

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...indshield+rust

These things will rust. Maybe not as fast as others, but they have their vulnerable spots. The window recesses are a good example. If you get that salt mist up in the nooks and crannies, you'll never wash it out completely, and everytime you drive in the rain, it moistens those deposits and they keep working. And as we know, it never sleeps.

If it lives in AZ it's entire life and never sees rain, it will probably never show signs of rust in your lifetime. Otherwise, exposure to moisture and corrosive elements will take their toll no matter what you do.

It's your car, you use it how you like. So does the guy who never drives in the rain. But this "They were built to be driven" thing cracks me up, it's just rationalizing using it all the time, and that's fine. All mechanical things were "built to be used", but they all deteriorate with use, and they deteriorate somewhat without use. It just depends on what you want to do with it.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:49 PM
austin944
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Supposedly the rain collects contaminants as it falls and the contaminants can damage the paint. A better explanation can be found here:

http://www.epa.gov/acidrain/effects/auto.html
Old 02-22-2007, 03:01 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 911skb
If we didn't drive in the rain here in the PNW, we would have a 2 week driving window!
???
Last summer, we had about 60 days straight without rain. I had the dead grass to prove it. Lots of good P-car time.
But don't tell anybody, we don't want any more of 'em moving here.

Winter is a different subject. No salt here, but plently of sand/grit on the roads this crappy winter. And about one decent driving day every 3 weeks. So mine sits in the garage. I have other vehicles.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:36 PM
911skb
Instructor

Barry, gotta keep the masses away. The story line stays the same..."it ALWAYS rains in the NW, don't move here" unless you own a P-Car, then we could use more attendees at the drives, DE's, etc.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:47 PM
schwank
Herr Unmöglich
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Ken you should come on out to PIR this weekend then for the AudiClub DE... no shortage of rain in the forecast!
Old 02-22-2007, 04:04 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 235 Likes on 128 Posts

..and it never rained in Bad Wurtenberg while the car sat outside awaiting a truck to be shipped to the States...
Old 02-22-2007, 04:07 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Rain today and I drove, but I drive it every day and it sits outside at night. 180k miles.

Quick Reply: "Never Driven in the Rain"