Sponsored by:

found what i think is a great deal on a 964, need opinions!*updated!*

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2007, 12:23 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default found what i think is a great deal on a 964, need opinions!*PPI done!*

I have been looking for a decent 964 to have as a weekend car and i came across what i think is a great 964 at a price i cant say no to! The car is a 1991 Red C4 coupe with 84K, 1 owner car with service records. The paint is a 9/10 as well as the interior and it looks to be completely stock. The only issue the car has is a cold start problem(it runs a little rough until warmed up, what could be causing that??). The funny part is that it's at a toyota dealership and was traded by a guy who had 4 porsches and this dealership really doesnt want to mess with it.. He told me if I brought 17K cash i could take the car. What are your opinons on this? It sounds like a really good deal thats hard to pass up! Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Rob

Last edited by 74carreraturbo; 02-27-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 02-20-2007, 12:28 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 202 Posts

Is the dealership in Iowa by any chance?
Old 02-20-2007, 12:37 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

as a matter of fact it is, I take it you might know the car???
Old 02-20-2007, 12:39 PM
mada1
Racer

Sounds like a good deal. Get a PPI and find out what the cold running problem is.
Old 02-20-2007, 01:07 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Yeah, I remember talking to that dealership about that particular car a few months ago. They didn't mention the cold start issues, but from the photos they sent me it looked a little rougher than a 9 out of 10. They asked for 18K at the time, so it's good they've come down a bit on the price. I also don't remember it being a one owner car, but that could be due to old age on my end. Definitely get a PPI, altough in that part of the country it might be difficult to find a good place within a reasonable distance. Whatever you do, make sure you see the car in person and inspect it before signing any paperwork. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2007, 01:11 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

thanks for the heads up!! The pictures he sent me showed really no issues at all but they were taken inside under the lights so that definitely adds to it.. I'll have to see it in person to get a better idea of what the condition might be. I dont think it was having cold start issues until lately, they told me it was a very recent problem!

Rob
Old 02-21-2007, 03:51 AM
CanyonBlaster
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 74carreraturbo
I have been looking for a decent 964 to have as a weekend car and i came across what i think is a great 964 at a price i cant say no to! The car is a 1991 Red C4 coupe with 84K, 1 owner car with service records. The paint is a 9/10 as well as the interior and it looks to be completely stock. The only issue the car has is a cold start problem(it runs a little rough until warmed up, what could be causing that??). The funny part is that it's at a toyota dealership and was traded by a guy who had 4 porsches and this dealership really doesnt want to mess with it.. He told me if I brought 17K cash i could take the car. What are your opinons on this? It sounds like a really good deal thats hard to pass up! Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Rob

1. Search is your friend
2. Many issues that are common to early 964 - dual mass flywheel, "dry dock"/ gasket-less cyl head, twin plug dist. climate control module, AWD system, etc. Hugely dependant on what has been fixed. If the car has the updates and no leaks, good price. Without this doc. work, offer $15K and have $5K in reserve for fixes.....
Old 02-22-2007, 12:11 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Originally Posted by ilko
Yeah, I remember talking to that dealership about that particular car a few months ago. They didn't mention the cold start issues, but from the photos they sent me it looked a little rougher than a 9 out of 10. They asked for 18K at the time, so it's good they've come down a bit on the price. I also don't remember it being a one owner car, but that could be due to old age on my end. Definitely get a PPI, altough in that part of the country it might be difficult to find a good place within a reasonable distance. Whatever you do, make sure you see the car in person and inspect it before signing any paperwork. Good luck!

you wouldnt happen to have those photos still do you? If so, could you please send them to turbo74@gmail.com? I'd love to see the ones they sent you so I can compare and contrast
Old 02-22-2007, 12:23 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

No, I'm sorry I don't have them. The pics I saw were on the Ebay listing. I only talked to the guy over the phone, so I don't have any email records.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:49 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

that's ok, thanks anyways!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:30 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Update!

PPI is scheduled for next tuesday, I have a deposit on the car pending the outcome!

Here's what i found out so far:

-The car is NOT a one owner car, it's a two owner
-The car has all service records, including the big 60K maintenance(over 5K invested in that)
- Climate control has been converted
- Flywheel is now a light mass flywheel with racing clutch
- alot of miscellaneous parts have been fixed over time

Also, in addition to that the car has:

Bilstein Sport Shocks/Struts
Adjustable front sway bar
Strut tower brace
964 sport springs
possibly exhaust(havent heard it yet)
and who knows what else, those were just the things that had receipts....

So what do you think? we settled on a price of 16,300!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:34 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

What was converted in the CCU?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:35 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Originally Posted by jimq
What was converted in the CCU?

From what i understand, a whole new compressor and something about being converted to "R134" or 132 or something? It was on one of the receipts
Old 02-22-2007, 09:42 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Sounds like a good deal. Also sounds like the previous owners took good care of the car, that's always encouraging. Just make sure you see the car in person before signing the paperwork. Be careful with the light weight flywheel (LWF). If it hasn't been installed properly with the correct throttle adaptation the car will stall. Just one more thing to look for during the PPI. It is very important whoever does the PPI to do a cold start. Have the dealership drop it off at the mechanic and let the car sit overnight.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:46 PM
74carreraturbo
Racer

Originally Posted by ilko
Sounds like a good deal. Also sounds like the previous owners took good care of the car, that's always encouraging. Just make sure you see the car in person before signing the paperwork. Be careful with the light weight flywheel (LWF). If it hasn't been installed properly with the correct throttle adaptation the car will stall. Just one more thing to look for during the PPI. It is very important whoever does the PPI to do a cold start. Have the dealership drop it off at the mechanic and let the car sit overnight.

as a matter of fact, the car on cold start does stall they told me but only for a minute until it gets a little temperature... After that it runs perfect all day. Would that be because the flywheel? It only does it on overnight cold starts!

Quick Reply: found what i think is a great deal on a 964, need opinions!*updated!*