Sponsored by:

Flashing Low Fuel Indicator

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 06:23 PM
Twood
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Flashing Low Fuel Indicator

My low fuel indicator light in the fuel gauge has started to flash even if the fuel tank is full. It is an intermittant problem and happens when the car is moving.
Has anyone else had this problem and can they offer any ideas of where to start looking for the fault?

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:47 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Twood... I had this problem for over a year before I took care of it. You need to wait until your gas tank is at least 1/2 - 3/4 full then take out your sending unit at the top of the tank. It's a fairly straightforward fix. Take off the elec. connections and remove the bolts holding it in. I believe there is a twisting ring on top also. The whole sending unit comes out. I think mine was flashing because of the gunk that built up on the wires. I cleaned the wires on the sending unit and no more flashing!

There is a float that rides up and down two wires on a rod. When the wires get dirty the light flashes.

Give it a try and let us know!

Good Luck!
Old 02-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Twood
Racer

Originally Posted by Smokin
Twood... I had this problem for over a year before I took care of it. You need to wait until your gas tank is at least 1/2 - 3/4 full then take out your sending unit at the top of the tank. It's a fairly straightforward fix. Take off the elec. connections and remove the bolts holding it in. I believe there is a twisting ring on top also. The whole sending unit comes out. I think mine was flashing because of the gunk that built up on the wires. I cleaned the wires on the sending unit and no more flashing!

There is a float that rides up and down two wires on a rod. When the wires get dirty the light flashes.

Good Luck!
Why do I love Rennlist? - Let me count the ways.There are so many knowledgable people here that have experienced so many of the little problems that a Porsche can present.
I believe that in 99% of cases there is far more useful knowledge on this forum that at any Porsche Centre/Repairers. And the cost, well what can I say, its better than $140 an hour and then I bet half of Porsche mechanics when they cannot work out the answers go oonto Rennlist anyway!

Thanks Smoking-I will keep you posted

Last edited by Twood; 02-21-2007 at 07:33 PM.
Old 02-21-2007, 11:13 PM
Twood
Racer

Default Repaired flashing Low Fuel Indicator!!

Good Luck!
Smokin'

I am confused at what to pay???

Your time to type the reply at 5 minutes @$100 per hour equals $8.33.
If I bought a new fuel sender unit from Porsche and had the unit fitted ($114.50) plus labour of 1 hour $100 equals $214.50-that is if they could do it in 1 hour. They would not know how to fix it or try. So you have saved me $214.50.
Now it took me 30minutes at @$100 per hour equals $50-do I deduct that from your time? If I do you will owe me $41.67 and that does not seem fair. Or do I add the amount you saved me which means I owe you $181.16
So I guess to save confusion, I should just offer a very sincere thank you and to say that what you suggested worked beautifully and saved me at least $214.50.

Now is Rennlist great value or not-truly sorry if we send Porsche Service Departments across the world into liquidation.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:12 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

I'm glad it worked! Yes... The Rennlist membership is very much worth the measley $32 per year they charge. I can't tell you how much I have saved over the years. Plus there is always the satisfaction of fixing it yourself... That's much harder to put a value on!

Oh... You still may get a flash every now and then depending on how you cleaned the wires. They are fairly fragile and I didn't want to scrub too hard. I think all I needed to do was get most of it clean and then the float kind of wears off the rest over time. It flashed a few times for me over the next few months after I repaired it but never flashes now unless I'm low on gas. I think I posted the actual mileage it starts flashing... as I recall it was exactly what the manual said!
Old 02-22-2007, 09:34 AM
DaveK
Race Car

This is a very minor question - but you guys don't really mean "flash" do you? I'm pretty sure when my low fuel light illuminates, it doesn't flash.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Dave... Yes... it flashes. Even with a full tank the low fuel level light will flash because the sending unit wires are dirty. It's a minor annoyance. But an annoyance none the less.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:11 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You need to wait until your gas tank is at least 1/2 - 3/4 full then take out your sending unit at the top of the tank.

Rick, I'm sure when I hear the answer, I'm going to think this is a stupid question, but why do you need to have the tank 1/2 - 3/4 full?

Regards,

Steve
Old 02-23-2007, 12:51 AM
Twood
Racer

Originally Posted by deep_uv
Rick, I'm sure when I hear the answer, I'm going to think this is a stupid question, but why do you need to have the tank 1/2 - 3/4 full?

Regards,

Steve
Steve
I think what Rick was getting at is don't do it when the tank is full
Old 02-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by deep_uv

Regards,

Steve
What Steve said. You can do it over the 3/4 mark if you like. Since the sending unit is at the top of the tank I guess you could do it with a full tank. I just preferred to do it with the level a little lower.
Old 02-23-2007, 10:15 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ahhh, I get it now. I thought you meant it HAD to be at least that full. Couldn't figure out why that would be. It's the old cup half full vs. cup half empty I guess. Thanks guys.

Steve

Quick Reply: Flashing Low Fuel Indicator