Sponsored by:

964 RS battery

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 10:23 AM
sicoyne
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 964 RS battery

I need a new battery after the car has been stood for 3 over months with no use.

This doesnt seem as simple as I thought. The official Porsche part number is 999 611 036 20, this a 36 apere - hour battery that is fitted to the RS.

My problem is finding a 36 ampere - hour battery. I have emailed a friend at Porsche for a price and have Costco phoning Bosch technical as they dont stock a 36 amp battery.

The lowest I seem to find is a 45 amp battery. Is there a danger/reason why I shouldnt fit a higher Amp battery?

A friend bought one from Halfords (a national car part retailer foor those of you in the States) and he reports his does not idle as well as it with the previous battery.

His doesnt seem to be a 36 amp/hour battery, but a 75 amp one!?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-18-2007, 10:54 AM
Red rooster
Three Wheelin'

The only reason the RS has a smaller battery is to save weight ! There have been all kinds of posts on light weight batteries so someone will post a good thread for you to look at.
You definetly need a battery maintainer if your RS is for occaisional use!
It took me a little while to get the importance of that ,once I stopped using my 964 as a daily driver.
Really takes the edge of driving pleasure if you have to jerk around with a soft battery before setting out + the hassle of it stalling at the first set of lights and the battery hasnt got enough to start again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Geoff
Old 02-19-2007, 02:21 PM
IAN C2
Banned

fit an optima , and go to maplins for a solar powrered trickle charger .... hey viola !!! job done
Old 02-19-2007, 03:55 PM
964rsdatabase
Instructor

Hi Sicoyne

The reason your friend's car is not idling properly is probably because after the battery has been allowed to go flat or be disconnected, the ecu needs to be reset. The way you do this is to start the car and let it idle for 20 minutes. You'll find the revs will hunt up and down and then suddenly settle as the ecu automatically resets itself. Hope this helps.

Martn

Quick Reply: 964 RS battery