Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fan heater / window de-mister kaput, can anyone help a luddite?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 06:55 PM
glynmun
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy fan heater / window de-mister kaput, can anyone help a luddite?

Hi,
I've only very recently discovered the joys of owning a 1991 c2 964. Has no air con.
Need the window demister as it's freezing and damp here in wales U.K.

Have read previous old threads about changing the rear blower motor....
1. does a car without aircon have a rear blower motor?
2. if so...where is it located and how do i get to it?
3. is there an online resource / shop where i could buy a 964 c2 1991 workshop manual to help me mend things that are't too techie?

My car goes like s**t through a goose, but i'm freezing my love spuds off when i go out in the car due to having to have the windows open to demist the windows. You'd think porsche might have a section on their web page for common faults and fixes!!?

Can anyone help...and help in plain english not tech speak?
Thanks in advance for any help.
Glynmun
Wales
Old 02-15-2007, 03:19 AM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you have a rear blower.

If you open the engine bay and look in, it's a big plastic thing in the top left corner as you look in. You will see a big plastic pipe running from just behind the rear light (LH light as you are looking at the car) up to the rear blower.

It may not be the blower motor you need. Search some more - there is a thermal cutout resistor thing (sorry for the crap description - I've just woken up) - which is fitted in the pipe I just mentioned, and that can cutout. I also found mine stopped working once because it was disconnected.....
Old 02-15-2007, 03:25 AM
Computamedic
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum - and 964 ownership!!

The rear blower is fitted to the vast majority of 964s - there are some performance oriented versions where it's deleted - and it sits to the left of the engine as you can see in the attached photo.

The most common reason for the rear blower not running is a blown fuse - located in the rear electrical panel on the left side. Make sure a 30 amp duse it fitted - it was originally specified as a 25 amp, but uprated without any other changes by Porsche.

I've just seen Dave's post and saw that he mentioned the ballast resistor as well - another common problem.

We need pictures of the car BTW!!!

Regards

Dave
Attached Images  
Old 02-15-2007, 12:46 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by glynmun
i'm freezing my love spuds off when i go out in the car due to having to have the windows open to demist the windows.
Is the problem that your two front fans operate ok they just don't blow onto the windscreen?
Old 02-15-2007, 01:57 PM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Why would a luddite drive a 964? I true luddite would smash the thing!

Seriously, failure to blow warm air in the demister vents is probably a stuck servo. Find someone with the a Bosch Hammer or one of the newer diagnostic interfaces. The diagnostic system does test many of the HVAC components, and it does save fault messages if a servo or a blower fails.

Good luck, and don't hit anything trying to drive with fog on the wind shield. I use the head out of the window technique on my early 911, but that was brutal on really cold days. I really like the improved 964 system, but it acts like an older 911 when components start to fail.

Quick Reply: fan heater / window de-mister kaput, can anyone help a luddite?