Sponsored by:

Another battery drain: clock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:24 PM
Bob Krantz
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another battery drain: clock?

I have been having my own episodes with occasion drained battery--no start condition (twice at the airport after leaving the car for 3 to 6 days). Ammeter shows a drain as much as 600 ma, almost all through fuse/circuit 11 (interior lights and clock). The lights and door switches check out OK. I have yet to pull the clock, but would like to hear from anyone else who has found a current drain there.
Bob K
1989 C4
Old 02-12-2007, 07:38 AM
whatintarnation
AutoX

Hi Bob,
I'm in Austin. I have an '89 C4. I also have a drain or alternator issue. I've noticed that some of the bulbs on clock are looking a bit dim. I pulled the clock yesterday and took a look at a couple of the bulbs. Also, my interiorlights do not work. Have you made any progress? John.
Old 02-12-2007, 03:06 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi guys, I'm in Austin too. There are a ton of threads on this subject. If you use the search function, click on advanced search and specify the 964 fourm, you'll find a bunch of threads that describe the usual culprits and detail how to measure the current drain so you can eliminate them one by one.

Click HERE for a good example

The common culprits seem to be the CCU blower fan, door light switches, hood and trunk trunk light switches, stuck window swithches, glove box light switch, etc... Let me know if I can help out.

Steve
Old 02-13-2007, 08:05 AM
whatintarnation
AutoX

Hey Steve, just moved to the Austin area from Albuquerque. Where do you have the Targa serviced?
John.
Old 02-13-2007, 12:24 PM
deep_uv
RIP

Originally Posted by whatintarnation
Hey Steve, just moved to the Austin area from Albuquerque. Where do you have the Targa serviced?
John.
John, Welcome to Austin - It's a great place to live.

Service? In my garage for the most part.

I did have some AC work done and I get my tires mounted at European Import Auto Repair at the corner of Braker and Burnet. They seem to be ok and are reasonable and pleasant to deal with. PM me if you're planning on using them. They have a referral program. Let me know how else I can help out.

Steve
Old 02-14-2007, 08:32 AM
whatintarnation
AutoX

Steve, I put on new tires and rebuilt my calipers. Also, installed new struts and shocks. Took me the entire summer but I'm still getting a bit of vibration in the steering wheel when braking around 60 mph. I think re-balancing the tires might fix that. So, I might try out European Import and tell 'em you sent me. If I had a garage to work in maybe I'd attempt to replace my alternator. Have you replaced yours yet?
John.
Old 02-14-2007, 02:20 PM
deep_uv
RIP

John I haven't yet pulled my alternator. There's lots of good DIY threads on that here, so if I ever need to do that, I'll give it a go. I'll be willing to donate my driveway / garage and help out on that some weekend if you like.

On second thought about the referral, I looked into that and it's only of benefit to me. I thought the one referred would get a benefit but it's not so. So if you use them, just do so on my recommendation as I could not accept anything from them for having referred you. Only did it based on my positive experience there.

As far as the vibration on braking, I would think you'd have vibration at various speeds if it was the wheel balance. TR6 (Greg H.) up in Dallas had a similar problem and changing his rotors solved it I believe. Maybe he'll chime in here. Did you change out the spring plates on the calipers when you rebuilt them? Let me know how else I can help out.

Steve
Old 03-04-2007, 04:19 AM
barney55
Instructor

Default Use solar

Hi guys,

I've been using a Solar charger,sits in the rear window,and plugs into the cig,lighter, for 3 years ,never had a flat battery and my c4 sits outside all weathers

I cant post a link to the site where i bought it, but it's:

solar-batterycharger co uk (you get it)

Regards.

Quick Reply: Another battery drain: clock?