Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 Check Engine Light Causes A Stall Out ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2007, 05:18 PM
E Ride
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 964 Check Engine Light Causes A Stall Out ?

My 91 964 will start and run, the problem I am having is when the check enine light clicks on the motor dies out then picks up again when the light goes off. It does this at idle as well as 3K and up, and you never know when its going to do it. It may flash on and off 2-3 times in a row then quits for a minute or so and the light never stays on.
I followed a lot of suggestions given to me by a local Porsche shop. After putting in a new battery, r41 relay, fuel filter, and cleaning the air filter (K&N) isv valve and flap valve. I drove the car around yesterday 2-6-07 and after a few miles it ran great with no check engine light. Started it up this morning and I was back to when the check engine light flashes on at any RPM, the motor dies out and comes back on when the light goes out. The light doesn't stay on it just flashes on and off intermittently real fast and sometimes quits for a few minutes. It idles just fine until the light flashes on then kills the motor. Any other suggestions, engine temp sensor, fuel pump etc...
HELP HELP HELP !!!!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:38 PM
flatsixcrazy
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... sounds like a problem I had. It turns out to be a bad ignition coil that bled some sparks. Have you taken out the coil covers and observe the coils in the dark for any stray sparks?. While you're at it, you can also check the spark plug wires for stray sparks. Good luck with your hunting. Andy
Old 02-07-2007, 08:10 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by E Ride
Any other suggestions, engine temp sensor, fuel pump etc...
HELP HELP HELP !!!!
Where are you located? Have you or your local Porsche shop checked the DME control unit with a Bosch Hammer or the accelerator pedal method?

Quick Reply: 964 Check Engine Light Causes A Stall Out ?