Sponsored by:

How do you jack these things up???

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 12:43 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

If your car is real low, get yourself four pieces of 2x8 wood approx 12-18" long. Then put them in front of each tire. Then drive the car up onto them. This will "raise" the car approx 1.75" and then you can use your floor jack. If you want to get fancy, you can put a 45 degree cut on the boards to make it easier to drive up on.

I've used this technique for a long time. Its not very pretty but its simple and works well.
Old 01-26-2007, 12:49 PM
bigchillcar
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great idea, rob. thanks!
ryan
Old 01-26-2007, 01:18 PM
mrmoots
Rennlist Member

Jacked mine up for the first time a few weeks ago. Put a trolley jack under the rear jacking points one at a time. I lifted the car enough to slide a concrete building block under each rear wheel. Lifting the car by 4".

This gave enough room to get under and remove the under tray, before jacking off of the crankcase and supporting on stands on each rear jacking point.

Have been thinking of making up a steel beam with a pad on each end. You could drive the car onto some timbers to lift it a little. Position the steel beam between the two rear jacking points, then lift the car with one jack at the centre of the beam. You can leave the beam in place and put jack stands at each end sandwiching it between the car and stands.

The steel beam may need a box section on each end so that it is brought down slightly to clear the underbelly of the car/gearbox.

When I get time going to work out the depth of steel needed and get one cut to length.

Ross
Old 01-26-2007, 01:35 PM
flat_six
Track Day

Originally Posted by chancecasey
Which also results in getting some bitchin' WEVO semisolid mounts
They are very nice! Recommended to those who favor a tight drivetrain.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:03 PM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

I also use the jack by the crankcase. I hate jacking the car, it feels precarious every time. I want a lift.
Old 01-26-2007, 02:41 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I want these

Any one close enough to Portland, OR and motivated enough to get over to Ken's place and have him measure up a 964 to make bars for us?

I think these would ease the lifting process and provide a more stable platform once up in the air.

Quick Reply: How do you jack these things up???