Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I value this???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 09:10 PM
Oilslick964
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well, I'm back...with the car. It is much better than I anticipated. All stamps in book and records from big services are intact. Pics of damage (didn't look like it was very bad at all, but I know pictures can lie) as well as throughout the repair. Car runs perfectly and looks just stunning (to me, anyway). It was definately worth the 1.5 hr. drive to see if it was what it appeared to be.

That said, it certainly isn't perfect. I'll want to repaint the nose and possibly the hood due to chips. I want new tires. But that is just me being picky. Seems like everything is in order, mechanically with a few exceptions:

Here is problem #1. The heater doesn't heat. AC blows cold but I can't get any heat. Any ideas on where to start?

No problem #2 as yet, but I'm waiting...
Old 01-22-2007, 09:17 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad that it worked out for you. From readin your latest post, is it correct to assume you had purchased the car?
Old 01-22-2007, 10:02 PM
Oilslick964
Drifting

Sorry, yes I bought it.
Old 01-22-2007, 11:06 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Just curious, was it within the suggested price range?
Old 01-22-2007, 11:35 PM
Oilslick964
Drifting

$17800. I'll spend around $1k to get it all sorted (though I'm not sure about the heater issue) and I'll have a really nice '89 C4 with 87k miles for under $19k. I personally really like the body. I'm sure when I get ready to sell it, it will run some folks off but it will attract some too (like me!). Boy, I really like looking in the side mirror and seeing that big fat fender!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:40 AM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

The price sounds good, but I think the "$1k to get all sorted..." is a bit optimistic. Not to say the car you bought is problematic, but one tends to develop OCD when DIY projects begin
Old 01-23-2007, 08:20 AM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts

As long as your happy Paul that's all that matters! Keep in mind a tune up kit is about $750.. if you need a heater control that alone is about $1K... in fact it seems everything is about $1K!!
Old 01-23-2007, 09:06 AM
Wachuko
Professor of Pending Projects
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Congratulations! The only thing that matters is that you are happy with the car and if it is mechanically sound. Enjoy it!!

If/when you can, post better photos of the car.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the passenger side airbag is still there, take the Porsche emblem off the cover. In the event of an accident, this makes a nice projectile in the cabin.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Oilslick964
Drifting

Originally Posted by viperbob
If the passenger side airbag is still there, take the Porsche emblem off the cover. In the event of an accident, this makes a nice projectile in the cabin.
'89 C4 = no airbags

Thanks guys. Like I said, mechanically it is all done. All it needs are some cosmetic things... new shift boot, paint the nose and (maybe) the hood, a little bit of the "oilslick964 detail" to the engine bay. The only mechanical issue is the heater. Not sure what that will cost, but I doubt I can do it with my very limited knowledge of these types of problems. I figure the paintwork will be around $600 and the shift boot another $100 so I'm figuring $300 for incidentals.
Speaking of incidentals... I know this is the 964 board, but does anyone know where I can get a 993 headlight lens? This one has a little crack in it. Not imperative that it be replaced, but I'm sure I'll want to do it eventually. Any idea on cost for that bit?

Thanks again and I'll post better pics later!
Old 01-23-2007, 10:28 AM
DarrylH
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Oilslick964
... The only mechanical issue is the heater. Not sure what that will cost, but I doubt I can do it with my very limited knowledge of these types of problems. ...
Might want to start a new thread about this, but as a place to start, check the fuse and relay for the rear blower in the little fuse panel on the left wall of the engine compartment.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:35 AM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck with your Porsche. Sounds like this Porsche has found a good home and you certainly are going into this with open eyes. The heater problem may just be the servo stuck in the closed position. Common problem that is DYI fixable. Do a search on this forum and you will get more details how to fix. Since you do get cold air, I'm 99% sure it is the servo under the windshield. . Go to www.porsche964.co.uk where the fix is explained. Find a good local lPorsche shop that you can trust. Stay away from dealer shops unless you have an unlimited source of discretionary funds.
Old 01-23-2007, 10:36 AM
Oilslick964
Drifting

Originally Posted by DarrylH
Might want to start a new thread about this, but as a place to start, check the fuse and relay for the rear blower in the little fuse panel on the left wall of the engine compartment.
That's what I'm hoping for!!! I was too lazy to look at it last night. I did notice that the P.O. left a spare DME relay in the glove box for me. That's good, saves me from having to order one! Thanks, I'll look at the relay today.
Old 01-23-2007, 11:00 AM
Oilslick964
Drifting

Originally Posted by last toy
Good luck with your Porsche. Sounds like this Porsche has found a good home and you certainly are going into this with open eyes. The heater problem may just be the servo stuck in the closed position. Common problem that is DYI fixable. Do a search on this forum and you will get more details how to fix. Since you do get cold air, I'm 99% sure it is the servo under the windshield. . Go to www.porsche964.co.uk where the fix is explained. Find a good local lPorsche shop that you can trust. Stay away from dealer shops unless you have an unlimited source of discretionary funds.
Thanks a million! That's a site I'll definately be bookmarking!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

"'m 99% sure it is the servo under the windshield. "
Thats what I would also guess .

"P.O. left a spare DME relay in the glove box for me. "
Test it by switching it in , make sure its good .

"yes I bought it."
I think ya done good .

"'89 C4 = no airbags"
89s rule !

Quick Reply: How do I value this???