Sponsored by:

momo steering wheel hub is stuck & intro

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 11:49 PM
RSAdam
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default momo steering wheel hub is stuck & intro

I am a longtime follower and have recently acquired a white RSA. I'd call it a street legal track car. I will post picures when I take some --sorry to violate the protocol. I love the car but have gotten myself into a DIY bind on a pretty easy project.

I have removed the factory wheel and installed a sparco with the momo adapter following the helpful DYI in the DYI section. Everything seemed to go fine in the removal and installation. On the test drive the horn was triggered by turning the wheel (in one or two places). There are also a few locations where the horn button does not work. I have ruled out that the problem is caused by the wire that I am connecting to the horn or the ground. I suspect that this means that there is something not quite right with the little L shaped piece that sits behind the hub and allows the circuit to stay closed as the wheel is turned. This piece is at about 1 oclock on the stalk.

This is where the big problem really starts. After removing the wheel and the nut and washer that hold the hub in place I cannot remove the hub. I have tried exerting a fair amount of pull but the hub seems fused to the column. The hub turns just fine but it won't come off the column. I fear that I might break something if I start exerting a lot of force.

FYI: On the original installation I tourqed the nut to 32ftlbs.

Any suggestions?
Old 01-18-2007, 01:40 AM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts
Default hub removal

If it's one of the aluminum splined ones it's not uncommon for them to stick on the shaft, they slip on nice but are sort of swedged on once you torque them down. Just use a steering wheel puller, you can rent one at the local tool shop, or if you have a pulley puller you can thread a couple of bolts into the hub and press it off the shaft.

Post some pics of the car, and go register on rsamerica.net.

welcome to the club!
Old 01-18-2007, 09:37 AM
RSAdam
2nd Gear

J Richard. Thanks for the post, I feel better knowing that this is not uncommon and might be a not to difficult/costly fix. I owe you pictures.
Old 01-18-2007, 07:08 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I had a bugger of a time getting the hub off mine when I installed a new after market wheel - I just used a brake-pad puller (like a slide-hammer) to pound it off by hooking the pins inside the hub so it did not get scuffed.

Marc

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 01-18-2007 at 07:17 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-18-2007, 07:14 PM
Cupcar#12
Addict
Rennlist Member

also - the hubs can usually be coazed off with gental tapping all around it's perimeter with the handle of a wrench wrapped in tap (to prevent marring) it usually is a tap all around and pull & repeat process. no need to wack it.

Quick Reply: momo steering wheel hub is stuck & intro