Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I could be wrong, but this one looks like a real beauty!

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 12:53 AM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
Default I could be wrong, but this one looks like a real beauty!

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Porsche-911-964-C...QQcmdZViewItem

I would be curious what the experts out there say....
Old 01-11-2007, 11:19 AM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1989.5? I didn't know Porsche has 1/2 model years...

Car looks clean, but the reserve isn't met yet, so we don't know how much they're really trying to squeeze out of the car.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:07 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Real nice, like the wheels. if it goes for $25k or less and is legit, then that should be a good deal for someone wanting a stock 964. Howver, there have been a lot of scams lately on ebay with Porsches so who knows what the deal is with this one.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:28 PM
R6XTERRA
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinTarditi
1989.5? I didn't know Porsche has 1/2 model years...

Car looks clean, but the reserve isn't met yet, so we don't know how much they're really trying to squeeze out of the car.

the first 964 c4 in 89 was considered 89 1/2 since the old 3.2ltr was built in 89 as well.
Old 01-11-2007, 03:35 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Beware - not sure it's the same guy, but a 'John Goodman' from Santa Barbara had a '92 on eBay last March - weird deal, nice-looking car but wouldn't answer emails, auction ended without meeting reserve and I asked him if he wanted to make a deal, said yes and then maybe and then I'll get back to you. I made him an offer and said I'd like to get a PPI. He said it was his car, then he said it was his dad's and he'd have to negotiate with him - then he wouldn't return calls, and then he dropped off the planet. Total flake. Pretty sure now that it was a scam. This might not be the same person, but awfully big coincidence - car's in Cali, on Canadian eBay... caveat emptor.

Car's ok I guess, low miles but the interior looks pretty dirty and unkept...alum. pedals w/dead pedal - hot-rodder? Some of these guys writing these descriptions should get a f*cking Pulitzer. Anytime I see all that flowery stuff, I'm immediately suspicious.

Edit: it is the same guy, same email address. Watch out.

Last edited by Bearclaw; 01-11-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:12 AM
deep_uv
RIP

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Beware - not sure it's the same guy, but a 'John Goodman' from Santa Barbara had a '92 on eBay last March - weird deal, nice-looking car but wouldn't answer emails, auction ended without meeting reserve and I asked him if he wanted to make a deal, said yes and then maybe and then I'll get back to you. I made him an offer and said I'd like to get a PPI. He said it was his car, then he said it was his dad's and he'd have to negotiate with him - then he wouldn't return calls, and then he dropped off the planet. Total flake. Pretty sure now that it was a scam. This might not be the same person, but awfully big coincidence - car's in Cali, on Canadian eBay... caveat emptor.

Car's ok I guess, low miles but the interior looks pretty dirty and unkept...alum. pedals w/dead pedal - hot-rodder? Some of these guys writing these descriptions should get a f*cking Pulitzer. Anytime I see all that flowery stuff, I'm immediately suspicious.

Way to go Barry. I love Rennlist more and more every day!

Steve
Old 01-12-2007, 02:33 AM
jjbunn
Racer

...Some of these guys writing these descriptions should get a f*cking Pulitzer. Anytime I see all that flowery stuff, I'm immediately suspicious.
Well said! What a major turn-off that is. As if we're going to be swayed by "when you sit behind the wheel of this machine you will be wafted to Heaven and choirs of angels will serenade your every trip to the grocery store" garbage.

Just state the facts, please
Old 01-12-2007, 04:07 AM
etom
Three Wheelin'

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts

Nice detective work! Maybe we the seller should be invited to stand before the Rennlist Court and present his case.
Old 01-12-2007, 12:51 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere

Originally Posted by etom
Nice detective work! Maybe we the seller should be invited to stand before the Rennlist Court and present his case.

Of course that's the fair thing to do, he may be legit and it might be a good car for somebody. He might have been having personal problems or something back then, who knows? But I think it's worth putting out there. I've bought long-distance many times and have had all kinds of experiences, good and bad. I have a basic (maybe naive) belief that most people are inherently honest, but I know when I get a bad feeling about somebody I'm dealing with.

I bought a Volvo for my daughter a few years ago on eBay from a broker several states away. Everything went smooth until I started looking for the title. Seller said he'd Fedex it right out. Didn't come. Car showed up at my door, nice car - but no title. Every day he said he'd send it right out. Didn't come. After a week, the guy came clean and told me his partner was going through a really bad divorce, dropped out of sight and all the titles were (supposedly) locked in his office. When my guy got a locksmith to finally let him in, my title wasn't there. The guy told me, "Don't worry, I'll get a duplicate." "You're screwed", all my buddies said. Two days later, a Fedex comes with the title. Seems the partner, in his fog, had sent my title to a different buyer, and the buyer returned it.

Based on how the rest of the deal had gone, I believed him and gave him decent feedback. I feel like, when you're dealing long-distance, you have have to be ready for about anything - but when they stop communicating, yeah, you're probably screwed.
Old 01-12-2007, 01:04 PM
Kahdmus
Addict
Rennlist Member

if the car is legit I expect it is possibly a nice one. I get this impression as the pictures have obviously been very lovingly taken and in a later shot there is another 911 in the background - it looks as if the prior owner was possibly an enthusiast. These look more like Rennlist pics and not the usual Ebay variations.

Quick Reply: I could be wrong, but this one looks like a real beauty!