Sponsored by:

Spacers or Steering Stops?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 01:11 AM
mada1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spacers or Steering Stops?

I have been reading and see that most of the information says that to get rid of wheel rub with my new 17" Cups I need spacers or 10mm steering stops.

Some of the information states that anything over 5mm spacers without new studs is risky and to date I have not seen anything smaller for sale. Will 3-4mm spacers help if I can find them? Where can I find them in the US?

Another option is replacing the steering stops. Is it hard to install and is this the better option?

With either option will I need to have the car aligned again? Can the spacers contribute to understeer?

Any help is appreciated.

Here is a pic of the my Targa with the new Wheels and the Bilstien/HR Turbo setup I bought used from Agentpennypacker (thanks!). I installed everything with my brother on Sat. and then took it to the shop to get setup/cornerbalance. SWEET!
Attached Images  

Last edited by mada1; 01-09-2007 at 01:29 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:21 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Nice looking ride. Spacers do help, but I recommend just getting longer studs with open steel lugs. Then you can get the spacer that makes things fit properly. It's not a hard mod, I just got done (re) doing mine. Here is a quicky:

- pull off wheels
- remove brake pads
- remove brake caliper (for front, no hex extender needed)
- remove rotors
- pound out studs
- put in new studs, a trick is to use a old spacer and an impact gun with an open steel lug, it makes it quick this way.
- perform the reverse of the disassembly.

You don't ( to my knowledge ) need to have the car realigned after adding spacers.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:22 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts

Also, I have not done my steering stop mod yet, but I will be doing it as soon as my parts arrive. I have been running 17"'s w/o them for more than a year w/o problems and a 5mm spacer.

Quick Reply: Spacers or Steering Stops?