Sponsored by:

fumoto valve?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2007, 03:09 AM
kgorman
Drifting

Received 41 Likes on 22 Posts
Default fumoto valve?

Anyone running a fumoto valve oil drain plug (http://www.fumotovalve.com/) on their 964? The guys on the Ford Truck forums seem to swear by them, and some of the 944 guys appear to be running them. I would think I would need two of them, one for the tank, one for the engine. I change my oil about every 3/5 track events, so this would be handy!
Old 01-07-2007, 07:54 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Small piston airplanes have drain valves, and you use a hose to drain the oil around the cowling. On my first oil change I forgot to close the valve, and all my fresh oil also went to the drain tub.

A valve is far more civilized than a drain plug.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:40 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one installed on an engine for 100+ track days over a few years. Worked great. I did not have much choice though. The engine case was cracked right under the drain plug (LONG STORY). JB Weld kept it from leaking. But I did not want to stress it by tightening a drain plug all the time.

So downsides to it. On the track, you run over a fair amount of debris. If any of this debris (even just tire rubber) hit this piece (essentially as low as you can go on the back of the car) it could accidently open the valve lever or damage the unit to the point where it starts leaking or just dumps all your oil. On the track, it would take just a short time and your engine would be dry. Granted, it is unlikely but possible.
Old 01-07-2007, 01:21 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

28 years ago I was driving along and heard something , looked in the rearview mirror and saw a large oil slick .
Its no fun seeing all your lube on the ground behind your car .

I'd say keep it simple / low risk .

Quick Reply: fumoto valve?