Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm thinking of relocating the third brake light...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 05:50 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts
Default I'm thinking of relocating the third brake light...

As you all know, the location of the third brake light is really annoying in our cars (coupes). I was thinking of wiring the rear fog lights as additional brake lights and removing the third brake light from the rear windshield. My only concern is that this mod might be frowned upon next time I go for an inspection.

Does anyone know if that would be a problem with the authorities, or am I just being too cautious? I'm located in NY if that makes a difference.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2007, 05:55 PM
stevepaa
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removing the rear brake light leaves the black marks in the window. I plan to replace my window with Euro version without it and add either basket handle or later version of the thrid brake lght.
Lots of threads on this.
Old 01-04-2007, 06:56 PM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cars falling under the CHMSL guidelines needed to be manufactured with them, but you can remove them as the owner in most (if not all) states - my car is subject to rudimentary safety inspection here in NC, so I only need headlights, wipers, turn signals, horn, and tire tread (Cat bypass is pending ;-)).

As stated above, the black outline cannot be removed easily - need to source a rear windshield without the light - can't recall the part number - there are a few threads on this in the archives... one nice option is the LED light that mounts at the very top of the rear glass... very smooth and modern looking.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:33 PM
greenjt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Warning: Blatent thread hikack below.

Hey Dustin - I had my car over at Leith Euro on capital today and they failed me on the inspection because one of my high beams was dim. it works but is the proverbial "dim bulb." Do you know if that really rises to the level of failing inspection AND do you know if once i have taken it somewhere for the annual, do i have to go back to the same place for the do-over?

Last edited by greenjt; 01-04-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:36 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

James,

The place that failed you should've given you a slip. Take that slip to the same, or any other, inspection place and they will run the inspection for you again. They should also charge you a smaller fee, IIRC.

Back on topic, I didn't know that taking the third brake light off would be such a pain...

Quick Reply: I'm thinking of relocating the third brake light...