Sponsored by:

child restraint anchoarages

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 12:55 AM
JohnMetro
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default child restraint anchoarages

I have an (Australian spec) 964 1990 C4 coupe, and would like to fit a child seat. I have removed the plastic caps on the firewall behind the rear seats to try and locate the "bolt-hole" for the child restraint seat. Unfortunately, there is a thick rubber lining between the engine bay and the sealing plugs. I don't want to hack away all the lining. Does anyone know WHERE the mounting bolt hole is???

Also, I can see from other forums that most child seat bases are too wide to fit into the narrow seat base. Any suggestions of brands/models that fit???

Cheers
Old 01-01-2007, 05:53 AM
DustinTarditi
Instructor

I've been told that Britax is manufacturer for the Porsche child seat, so the cross-referenced seat will fit... not sure which on eit is off hand, though.

Babies R Us will let you test fit in your car before you buy.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:27 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Here are a couple of links to get your started:

Child's carseat top/center anchor install: my first how-to

964 Child Restraint Tether Kit

Child car seat (Canada)

I expect you could locate the top anchor threaded hole with an awl poking into the rubber insulation a bunch of times in the near area of the pics in Bates' thread (first link).

Cheers,
Dave
Old 01-01-2007, 04:11 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Thanks Dustin, Britax appear to have Australian office. I will contact and get details on suitable model.
Old 01-01-2007, 04:26 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Thanks Dave. The links (with pics!) are great! I believe all Australian spec cars were delivered with the anchor (threaded) holes already in place (legal requirement similar to Canada). My Owners Manual had a supplementary card inside a plastic sleeve at the back. This has some very brief details;

"Child restraint anchorage points are located beneath the flap in floor carpet directly behind the middle of each rear seating position. The location points are accesable by folding down each seat backrest and removing the plugs (if fitted).
Items required are
-bolt 5/16" U.N.C. thread x 25mm long
-Spacer between anchorage and fitting 10mm thick"

Anyway, I now have the confidence to start. I did try your suggestion to "feel" for the hole, but instead of an awl, I used a long needle, so that I didn't leave big puncture holes! Unfortunately, this proved inconclusive, as I could'nt really apply enough pressure with the needle.

I thonk my next step will be to just cut a "flap", the exact size of the plug opening. I will make 3 cuts in a "U" shape and fold down the rubber lining. That way, if/when I remove the bolt in the future, I can just fold the lap back up!

Thanks again for yoour reply...
Old 01-03-2007, 06:36 AM
David P
Instructor

Hi John,

Where are you based? If you're in Melbourne, come and have a look at mine.

I just removed the plastic clip, removed the foam behind it and got driven mad trying to install the bolt!

Seriously, if you are in Melbourne, pm me and I'll give you a hand fitting it.

Regards

DavidP
Old 01-03-2007, 05:19 PM
JohnMetro
Racer

Hi David,

thanks for the generous offer, unfortunately I'm in Sydney, otherwise would love to take you up on it. I am going to give it a go this morning. I am confident I will find the bolt hole, and I have bought the correct size and thread bolt and spacer. Why did you have trouble getting the bolt in???

I think the next challenge will be finding a baby seat whose base is small enough to fit into the narrow buckets in the rear! Which did you use? I thought I may just "pack" (ie, fill) the bucketed base of the seat with some beach towels so it is level with the side bolsters, then the baby seat will sit reasonably flat. I'm just a little unsure of the safety of this, and don't really want to take any unecessary risks with my 2 year old girl!!!

Anyway, thanks again for the reply/
Old 01-04-2007, 06:05 AM
David P
Instructor

Hi John,

I've taken a picture of where I've cut the material away behind the cap. This may help you estimate where the bolt is.

Regards

David P
Attached Images   
Old 01-07-2007, 06:12 AM
ome911
Intermediate

Default Go Safe

Hi John,
Go Safe also make a child seat with a narrow base that fits in the 964 rear seat. The seat can also transform to a rear facing seat for babies < 8 kg. If your front passenger has short legs they can tolerate short trips in this configuration. Lots of room in the forward facing configuration.
Cheers,
Enzo

Quick Reply: child restraint anchoarages