Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reconditioned the tail lights, WOW, they look great!

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2006, 09:28 AM
InTheAir
Nordschleife Master

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Great job. That was a huge improvement.
Old 12-24-2006, 09:55 AM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by darth
LouZ,

Did you use the same products? If so, I'm wondering if another product I've seen (I think its a Japanese product) produces better results in terms of allowing the light to emit, since its specifically made for this application?

Bill
90C2
Yes - used Testors apple red and their clear coat, 2 light coats of red then 2 - 3 clear.
Old 12-24-2006, 10:11 AM
wsybert
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the key to letting light through is one light coat of color. We'll see...
Still need to get my batt charged. Damn charger.
The shine if from wet sanding the hell out of them until they are smooth, then buffing and buffing, and buffing......
Old 12-24-2006, 12:01 PM
ducnine
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 16 Posts

When you get the battery charged, let us know what the light performance is. If it is good, I may attempt this sometime.
Old 12-24-2006, 12:52 PM
wsybert
Pro

Will do. I just got a gift certificate for Sears. Now I now how I am going to apply it.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:31 PM
wsybert
Pro

Got the battery charged up...borrowed a charger from my dad. Off to Sears today to get a new one.

Lights look good to me, as is. Left pic is of parking lights only, right is with brakes on.
I tried to get a picture of the backup lights, but discovered they don't work.

I remember my first attempts at this. I put 2-3 coats of color on, and could see how much it was covering up. Looked really good, but it was harder to see through the lens.

Anyone, let me know if you need any input on this. It's fairly easy, if you have the patience.
Attached Images  
Old 12-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Polman
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Realy looks great, did you use an airbrush or fine layers with smoth brush? And whats "swirl remover", I cant translate it so I understand what it is, probably we have it in the cleaning cabinet!
Old 12-30-2006, 07:33 PM
wsybert
Pro

Just used it right out of the can. I did heat them up a little, by putting them in hot water for a while. It increases the pressure inside the can, and will atomize the paint a little better when spraying. Probably not necessary since it is such a small area to paint.
Swirl remover is a very light polishing compound. It feels like hand cream almost. I use Meguires, but 3M makes some good stuff too (no affil with either). Check these out:HERE, HERE, and HERE.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:16 PM
Smokin
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To avoid the pink reverse.. Couldn't you just tape off that part when the color is sprayed and then uncover it for the clear coat? If you sand and polish it out I don't think you would notice a ledge where the paint ends. Just my .02...
Old 12-30-2006, 10:51 PM
wsybert
Pro

I thought of that. If you do a single coat like I did, and put maybe another coat or 2 of clear on top of what I did, you could probably sand it flat. Would take a lot more time... I was willing to accept the pink reverse. Plus I wasn't sure how it would look overall, since they are already faded. Thought they may stand out too much.
Not really sure how pink they will be, since my reverse lights are not working. Will let you know.

Quick Reply: Reconditioned the tail lights, WOW, they look great!