Sponsored by:

964 weight distribution.

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 07:36 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Recent numbers from an alignment and corner balance for my car...
LF: 554 RF: 529 total front: 1083 lbs 39.5%
LR: 845 RR: 810 total rear: 1655 lbs 60.5%

Weights include 180 lb for the driver and 40 lbs of fuel. Add more gas and the front weight will increase.
My ride heights are 2 7/8" (f) and 7 3/4" (r) with a rake of 1.8°

Contrary to the statement above that you can't change the weight distribution, you can and do change it by changing the ride height at each corner to get the desired distribution.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:56 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom W
Recent numbers from an alignment and corner balance for my car...
LF: 554 RF: 529 total front: 1083 lbs 39.5%
LR: 845 RR: 810 total rear: 1655 lbs 60.5%

Weights include 180 lb for the driver and 40 lbs of fuel. Add more gas and the front weight will increase.
My ride heights are 2 7/8" (f) and 7 3/4" (r) with a rake of 1.8°

Contrary to the statement above that you can't change the weight distribution, you can and do change it by changing the ride height at each corner to get the desired distribution.

Are your body panels CF?
Old 12-22-2006, 09:44 PM
Tom W
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mark: My body panels are fiberglass (Getty Design). A lot less weight savings from body panel changes than I ever guessed (the metal stock panels are not that heavy). I'm about par for the degree of effort I've put into it. To lose a couple hundred more pounds would take a lot of effort (and cash since I don't do the work).
Old 12-24-2006, 08:56 AM
springer3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Danz C4
Speaking of corner balance, I am curious how to set both the ride height and corner balance without putting one or the other out of spec. With the H&Rs and Bilsteins, I set mine up to the RS ride height but have not done corner balance. It seems to me that in order to do corner balance, you adjust the spring bearing plates to effectively put more or less weight on any one corner, consequently changing ride height.

What am I missing?

Danz C4
The factory manual is clear on this point: balance considerations overrule height. First set all four corners at the desired height (easier said than done because one corner adjustment affects all corners). Only one corner needs to be changed to set the corner balance. Think of the problem as a 4-leg bar stool that rocks. Shorten one leg, or lengthen one on the opposite diagonal, and all 4 will touch the ground with equal weight.

Unless your frame is bent or your springs are really off, you will not notice the ride height difference. If something is bent badly enough to affect ride height enough for anyone to notice, corner balance is the least of your worries.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:31 PM
GG Allin
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by springer3
Unless your frame is bent or your springs are really off, you will not notice the ride height difference. If something is bent badly enough to affect ride height enough for anyone to notice, corner balance is the least of your worries.
Funny you mention that. My frame is bent. I bought the car knowing this. I do plan on fixing it some day. You can't really see it when the car is on the ground, but when the car is on equal height jack stands the front left does not touch.

Quick Reply: 964 weight distribution.