Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kill switch revisited...Earth vs. flying +'s!

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 10:37 PM
zimpwh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kill switch revisited...Earth vs. flying +'s!

Is there any disadvantage in placing a multi-pole kill switch on the negative vs. the positive side in the battery circuit? And then say performing a DME kill to another pole?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:08 AM
zimpwh
Instructor

Bump...there must be an automotive electrical wizard who can answer this question. I have a new switch in hand and would like to install it this weekend. The + cables(dual) are routed beneath the fuel cell and dive into the firewall (complicating the removal, handling, and install.) The - cable is much easier to access and relocate. My switch will be mounted in the cowling ( a very tight yet neat fit, easy access,secure mounting position.) I have the DME bypass wires connected and ready to wire to a secondary pole. Thanks
Old 12-14-2006, 10:14 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 597 Likes on 459 Posts

Originally Posted by zimpwh
Is there any disadvantage in placing a multi-pole kill switch on the negative vs. the positive side in the battery circuit? And then say performing a DME kill to another pole?
Disadvantage: it won't pass a tech inspection. That alone makes it a bad idea!

Did you see my how-to on installing the switch:
https://rennlist.com/forums/964-forum/189368-mystery-solved-964-kill-switch-done-the-right-way.html
Old 12-14-2006, 08:07 PM
zimpwh
Instructor

Thanks Garrett. I read your well documented "how to" even before asking the question. I just wondered whether a neg. circuit break would work as well. Obviously I know very little about circuits...just trying to learn. Thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: Kill switch revisited...Earth vs. flying +'s!