Sponsored by:

Installed RS LWF this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 11:21 PM
BostonU
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installed RS LWF this weekend

Installed my RS LWF and clutch this past weekend. My friend who is a Porsche tech helped me out: Actually, he did all of the work while I just asked a ton of questions. I was on the fence at first, but once I drove it today I love it. I have no stalling issues yet (I drove for about 5 hours). The engine revs so much better and the acceleration to me is much better than before. I have a Rennsport Systems chip installed and didn't have to mess with ISV. Also, we had a chance to fix some small oil leaks in the chain covers. I am leak free again!!!! Finally, we made some adjustments to my RS Sway bars. I left the rear in the middle, and loosened the front to the second notch towards the end of the bar. I feel like I have a totally different car again. Who needs a new car when you can just upgrade a car you originally fell in love with. I have been wanting to do this for a couple of months, but finally had the time. Just wanted to share my story, and how happy I am. I'm still smiling as I type this.

Chris
Old 12-05-2006, 09:47 PM
hjcarlin72
Instructor

Glad you are enjoying your LWF. I love mine and my Mechanic has been able to eliminate the stalling issue. Don't ask me how but it works. ENJOY!!!
Old 12-06-2006, 11:39 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Sounds great Chris. I'd love to check out your car. Glad you're not having any stalling issues which most 964 and 95 993 owners seem to have. Let me know if you want to get together sometime.
Old 12-06-2006, 11:47 PM
viperbob
Former Vendor

The LWF is a great upgrade. Actually few of the 964s have issues with stalling if the ISV is clean. Even so, most times a simple adjustment to get it to not stall even with headlights on, a/c cranked up, etc...
Old 12-07-2006, 02:10 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Whats ISV?
Old 12-07-2006, 07:44 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

ISV = Idle Stabilization Valve
Old 12-07-2006, 08:10 AM
Millemiglia
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's definitely an upgrade I will do when my clutch finally gives up the ghost...
Old 12-07-2006, 09:13 AM
viperbob
Former Vendor

Peter - I can not tell you how many customers have said the same thing. They will think about the upgrade waiting for their clutch to go out. Many times they will just give in (sometimes after months) and get it before their clutch is dead. Guess how many of those people come back and tell me "Why did I wait so long? Why didn't you just tell me to do it now? I could of been driving like this for the past X months..."
Old 12-07-2006, 09:36 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Bob,
Will this be equally good for a 964 turbo (3.3)?
My old 3.2 Carrera clutch was much stiffer than the 965 (which was fine), is the LWF stiffer still?
Any other downsides?
Old 12-07-2006, 10:04 AM
Caveman
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Slippery slope!
Old 12-07-2006, 11:00 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Caveman
Slippery slope!
Be careful drinking the cool-aid
Old 12-07-2006, 12:35 PM
TR6
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, just when I was convinced that a LWF was a bad idea based on some folks that said that adding a LWF was a mistake due to stalling, had to swap it back for stock, no good for daily driver in traffic, etc, I see this thread extolling the positive virtues of a LWF. So which is it? Is it a good idea for a daily driver including periodically dealing with stop and go traffic? Also, exactly what kind of performance does it gain you? I know it doesn't actually add horsepower, but instead allows the car to spin up faster and get the horsepower to the rear wheels faster. But what does that really mean in terms of driver impressions? Does it make the car accelerate off the line faster?
Old 12-07-2006, 12:54 PM
Heirsh
Burning Brakes

TR6,

There is a thread somewhere that discusses the benefit of this. Last 6 months maybe? Boiled down the flywheel absorbs power as the engine increases in speed. if it has less inertia it will absorb less power as the car accelerates. Same thing as a lower inertia wheel, though the flywheel is directly coupled to the engine so the difference is more noticeable, especially in the lower gears.

If we knew the inertias of the flywheels we could crunch some numbers and tell you how much of a difference it really makes.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:57 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 625 Likes on 480 Posts

My opinion: it's great on a track car, stinks for a daily driver especially if you live where it's not completely flat. I have a LWF in my race car which I do drive periodically to work to keep it working well. Where I live is very hilly, and it's really tough to gracefully drive the car - it's rough, jerky, noisy. My wife doesn't enjoy it much - and every day would get tiring for sure - and I drive only 15 minutes to the office. My daily driver has the stock flywheel which is great. Yes, the race car accelerates faster - much faster, but it's because of the whole package. You will notice a LWF's effect in lower gears - probably 1st and 2nd only; after that there's little to gain. Plus, driving on the street doesn't afford that many times you can really floor the car in 1st or 2nd gear without rear ending someone or having to screech to a halt at the next stop sign/light!!! To me, the gain is definitely not worth it for a street car. Drive with an empty tank all the time on the street - the weight savings will probably give you the same effect as a LWF on acceleration feel!!!
Old 12-07-2006, 01:05 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

garrett,
Is your race car a fair comparison? Does it not have a lumpy idle due to sports cam or other mods?
I had another make of car with a LWF and it was great as a daily car.
For the turbos the LFW has the added benefit that we have lower torque than you NA 964's when we're off boost so the extra response (torque) is even more appreciated....so I am told by those 965's with LWFs.

Personally, I WILL wait until my engine/clutch needs attention as my clutch is new and feels nice.

Quick Reply: Installed RS LWF this weekend